• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math major course recommencation

Hi all!

I recently began my math major and am looking to select the most suitable courses to prepare for a master's in mathematical and computational finance.

The core courses are: analysis 1, multivariable calculus, discrete math, linear algebra, probability, stochastic processes, introduction to statistics.

I have 7 electives to pick among Math & Stats and 3 among Computer Science. I have decided upon the following courses, and I am considering a few others that might be interesting:
Note: All course names are translated from French using ChatGPT.

Math​

- Differential equations​
- Numerical analysis​
- Partial differential equations​
(Considering: Adaptive dynamics, Random walks & random graphs, Introduction to intrinsic data structures, Introduction to mathematical modeling)

Stats​

- Sampling​
- Linear Regression​
- Concepts and Methods in Statistics​
- Theoretical Foundations in Data Science​
(Considering: Bayesian statistics, Statistical learning, Applied multivariate analysis)

Computer science​

- Programming 1​
- Introduction to numerical algorithms​
- Non linear optimization​
(Considering: Linear optimization, Programming 2)
I would love to hear your thoughts on my choices. Would you recommend replacing any of my chosen courses with ones from the considering list?​
Thanks in advance for your advice!​

I like these foundations, others also look good

- Differential equations
- Numerical analysis
- Partial differential equations

Learn to program a bit in Python and C++, for example.

Last edited:
I like these foundations, others also look good

- Differential equations
- Numerical analysis
- Partial differential equations

Learn to program a bit in Python and C++, for example.
Thank you Daniel. I have taken a software engineering Python course in the past, and have worked in R before. Will be looking to develop my skills in C++. Thank you for the advice.

Back