• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

Wirelessly posted

GRE doesn't say much when it looks normal but it says a lot when it is abnormal. In this case, 710 throws a big red flag and an automatic reject. I don't care how many paper the guy has if he can't pass the basic sniff test. Let just say some MFE program will not evaluate a case further if GRE is under 760.

I understand what you're saying. But I was just wondering, doesn't the fact that I have a strong Computational Fluid Dynamics background play heavily in my favour? CFD is rarely taught at an undergraduate level let alone a student knowing it well enough to publish. CFD is as pure mathematics can get. I was solving partial differentials that were 20-30 pages long and took me days and days. It is all Masters/PhD level research. How many undergraduates do you know that have upto 4 publications before they finish undergrad with them being Sole authors?

I think I might have to write GRE again unfortunately cuz seems like it most of the people entering into Finance have 780+ basically. I was hoping my research would over-power my grades/GRE scores.

U of Michigan said I might have a strong and competitive application, but do you think they are just saying that so that they can make money of my application fee?

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it.

No program will discourage you from applying. You will boost their number and bottom line.
From the admission committee point of view, your profile is not unique. There are always more qualified applicants than you who done research at PhD level.
Realistic speaking, you can only hope to get a shot at good programs if you retake your GRE. You current profile will do fine for many lower rung programs. There are so many of them I wouldn't want to waste my time recommend.

No program will discourage you from applying. You will boost their number and bottom line.

That's not true. Princeton told me I don't have a chance and so did Tepper and Berkeley but Ann arbor said I would be competitive.

Claremont told me I have a strong choice lol so I guess they aren't a good program. haha

You are basically saying what I said.
They are being blunt but they didn't say, don't apply even your chance is zero, do they?
I wonder who you talked to at those programs that can give out "evaluate my chance" advice like that. Did they tell you off the record?
The party line is and should be "we will evaluate your profile as a whole when we receive your full application".
Funny about the responses from Claremont and UMich. You def should apply there.

You are basically saying what I said.
They are being blunt but they didn't say, don't apply even your chance is zero, do they?
I wonder who you talked to at those programs that can give out "evaluate my chance" advice like that. Did they tell you off the record?
The party line is and should be "we will evaluate your profile as a whole when we receive your full application".
Funny about the responses from Claremont and UMich. You def should apply there.

I am not going to put down the names, but it's all from directors of programs and faculty.

Columbia

Joy

you have decent chances of entering

Our program is terminal masters program and can not be followed by Ph D

It also does not offer financial support

Princeton

Hi,

You may of course apply just in case, but to be perfectly frank your GPA and quant GRE scores are too low to be truly competitive for admission in our program.

Best wishes for the continuation of your studies,

Claremont

Part of the email - There was alot of front and back so ye.

The 420 in GRE Verbal is acceptable, like I mentioned we look at as broad a range of applicant characteristics as possible to be positively selective in our admits. Based on the information you have provided I can say your application will be competitive and we look forward to seeing it in full.

-------------------------

I think I will re-do my GRE. lol

I think I will re-do my GRE
Glad we knocked some sense out of you ;)
Realize we here at Quantnet don't try to make anyone feel good about themselves (we tried sometimes) but rather tell it like it is.
If someone comes here and tries to justify their illogical thinking, I'm sure we're quick to tell otherwise. Most long time members here have went through the admission-MFE-job path so we are well qualified to offer sound advice.

Good luck with the new GRE. Getting 800 from 710 is not trivial.

My profile for MFE / Computational Finance ?

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. Could someone evaluate my profile for MFE / Computational Finance / Mathematical Finance programs? Thanks a lot!

My profile:

BS in Computer Science Engineering from Ohio State University and Minor in Math.

Overall GPA: 3.28
Major GPA: 3.43
Math / Stat GPA: 3.82

Math courses taken in college:

Multivariable calculus 1-3
Linear Algebra 1-2
Applied Linear Algebra ( Mathlab lab assignments and project from beginning to the end)
Discrete Math 1-2
Stat 1-2
Probability
Complex Variable
Differential Equation ( PDE and ODE)
Foundation for Higher Math ( logic, proof techniques, set theory, number theory, integers, real numbers)
Real Analysis 1-2

I have passed CFA level 1 and level 2 exams and currently a FRM level 1 candidate. I have worked for the last 5.5 years as software engineer / business analyst. 2 positions are somewhat related to finance.

1. Write software applications for hedge fund for 6 month ( laid off due to market condition)

2. Write software application and do a bit of scenario & sensitivity analysis with SAS and Excel for commercial banks & finance company ( credit card, mortgage loan, auto loan product verticals) I have been laid off from this position as well after 10 months due to the market. Now, I am just an IT contractor...

I have not yet taken GRE and I had phone conversation with someone at director level in a top program after I faxed my info and asked her for comments ( she told me it was a special courtesy for those who attended info session in person). She told me I need to take a Macroeconomic course ? ( I did that in college and got an A) and she encouraged me to take FRM exam ( Originally, I consider this exam optional since I will be busy with applications in November, but now...?). She said overall the profile looks pretty strong but she indeed asked me why I got C+ for sociology, C for Engineering Graphics ( intro civil engineering), C+ for Intro Mechanical Engineering, D+ for Intro Material Science & Engineering courses. Those intro civil, mechanical and material science & engineering courses are required by all engineering students at my school regardless major ( I could choose intro Chemical Eng or Wielding Eng, but I might do even worse). I told her I am just not interested in those courses and there's 2 seconds silence ... Do the GPAs in those non-major, non-math/stat courses matter? Do they put more emphasis on math / stat courses?

Finally, how good should my GRE AWA be on the exam? Sorry for the long post!

Thanks,

Kevin

MFE Applicant

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys can evaluate my chances at a top MFE program (CMU, Haas, Columbia)

BS in Bioengineering at UC San Diego (Ranked #3 in BioE) Graduation Spring 2010
Overall GPA 3.65/4.00
Major GPA 3.75/4.00
Math GPA (6 Course) Engineering Sequence 4.00/4.00

Work Experience/Internships at Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Biosite, Genentech
CFA Level 1 Candidate December 2009
Extensive Programming Training C/C++, Java, Matlab, Inventor

GMAT TBD

Thanks!

The sample space of such outcomes is the empty set.

Put your bioengineering to good use. Become a plumber.

rofl should have read the sticky before!
Thanks for your advice and motivation :D

What are my chances in MFE?

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hi, I am a new-comer here and glad to meet you all~
Find this Forum is so fantastic!
I am about to plan for my application for 2010 fall graduate schools (master programs). Though I am fond of MFE (it is really popular and can find decent jobs in the future, really?), I am worrying that I would not be so qualified to enter those top MFE programs.

Here are my basic personal information and course lists for reference!
Hope some guy can recommend some suitable programs for me!
Thanks so much

2+2 Double Degree Programme
Fudan University (top university in China) :International Finance--Bachelor of Economics
GPA: 3.73/4 Rank : 5/119
University of Groningen (the Netherlands):BSc. International Economics and Business
And I am following the HONOR Track Score: 9/10
TOEFl: 107 IELTS: 7.5 GRE: V580,Q790

Some courses I have took and will take
Advanced Mathematics
Linear Algebra<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Probability and Mathematical Statistics
Introduction to Mathematical Economics <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Computer Network and Database<o:p></o:p>
C Programming language<o:p></o:p>
Programming 1 for EOR (Delphi and Matlab)
Statistics (SPSS)
Econometrics (STATA)
Research Methods (Write a report about economics growth and corruption)
Tutorial Econometrics and Research skills (Write a Research Paper)
Honor Research Project
And some other courses in the field of economics, business and finance~
I got high grades in the above mathematics and programming courses.
Some friends suggested that I should apply for some MSF programs or programs in B-school.

Therefore, I am wondering whether MFE would be my destination....
Thanks all~~

What is "advanced mathematics?" Or, is that the category header?

The way math courses in India and China are named, you can hardly tell. They use names like "Mathematics I, II, III", "Advanced mathematics I, II".
They cover everything from Calculus I, II, III, ODE, PDE, Analysis in those courses under some generic names.
You will have to read the syllabus to know what they learn in these courses. That's why it's always a good idea to include a list of course content, books used in your application.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Some friends suggested that I should apply for some MSF programs or programs in B-school.

Therefore, I am wondering whether MFE would be my destination....
Your friends probably know you better than anyone here on Quantnet so their suggestion should be considered seriously.
What kind of program suits you depends on what you want to do in life. I'll say start off with Master reading list for Quants, MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

When you are through with the free guides there, begin research on various MFE programs (Main Page - Quantnet Wiki)

When you find a program that interests you, search for the info here and ask more focused question. There is no point in telling you which program you should apply when you can't tell what you want.

Hi I'm new to this forum. I'm considering a switch in my career. I was wondering for what reasons people come into this field other than $? Thanks!

hi andy! thanks so much for your response. but i guess i wanted to find out more specific reasons. i'm not from financial background and wanted to find out why people choose finance besides the money. i think this will help me out, also, think about whether i'm fit for this career. i understand that there are whole plethora of reasons out there but I want to start hearing one by one; hopefully this will help me understand about this field and various motivations behind pursuing finance. what is your reason for coming into this field? thank you SO SO much!!! i really appreciate it.

Further detailed questions~~Thx

The way math courses in India and China are named, you can hardly tell. They use names like "Mathematics I, II, III", "Advanced mathematics I, II".
They cover everything from Calculus I, II, III, ODE, PDE, Analysis in those courses under some generic names.
You will have to read the syllabus to know what they learn in these courses. That's why it's always a good idea to include a list of course content, books used in your application.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Your friends probably know you better than anyone here on Quantnet so their suggestion should be considered seriously.
What kind of program suits you depends on what you want to do in life. I'll say start off with Master reading list for Quants, MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

When you are through with the free guides there, begin research on various MFE programs (QuantNetwork Wiki)

When you find a program that interests you, search for the info here and ask more focused question. There is no point in telling you which program you should apply when you can't tell what you want.

Thank you for your advice, really helpful~~
You mentioned that it would be a better choice to include a list of course content, books used in your application. I don't know how to do that, since almost all the application nowadays are adopting online procedures. They only allow you to upload your transcript but no space left for your course discriptions.

Btw, I have another question to ask~~
Since I am now studying in the Netherlands, it is impossible for me to include some important courses in my transcript, such as programming for EOR, Microeconomics III, and so on. And I will finish a research paper at the end of Jan. as an exam for one of my course. I think those unlisted courses and the research paper might be my shining points in the application. However, they can not be reflected in the transcript before the application deadline.
So what should I do? Mention them in the personal statement?
Wait for your answer and thank you again~~

Back