• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

i would also suggest brushing up or learning as much C++ as you can. since it is THE language of the quant finance field, Baruch is very heavy on using it in almost every course of the program, and the learning curve is rather steep.

the recommended books link provided by Andy above has a couple of good C++ textbooks.

best of luck!

Which book?

Which book? I am using C++ Primer Plus. Any good suggestion. Thanks.

i would also suggest brushing up or learning as much C++ as you can. since it is THE language of the quant finance field, Baruch is very heavy on using it in almost every course of the program, and the learning curve is rather steep.

the recommended books link provided by Andy above has a couple of good C++ textbooks.

best of luck!

Which book? I am using C++ Primer Plus. Any good suggestion. Thanks.

these are all posted on in the Recommended Books forum (hint-hint).
  • Absolute C++, 3rd Edition by Walter Savitch
  • Problems Solving with C++, 6th Edition, by Walter Savitch
  • C++ Design Patterns and Derivatives Pricing (Hardcover) by Mark S. Joshi
  • Financial Instrument Pricing Using C++ Daniel Duffy
  • Effective C++, 3rd Edition Scott Meyers
  • More Effective C++, Scott Meyers
  • The C++ Programming Language, Special Edition, by Bjarne Stroustrup
  • Thinking in C++: Introduction to Standard C++, Volume One, by Bruce Eckel

Qs

Thanks for the list. Do you think is sensible to learn from the below before knowing C++:

C++ Design Patterns and Derivatives Pricing (Hardcover) by Mark S. Joshi
Financial Instrument Pricing Using C++ Daniel Duffy

Cheers,
K

• Absolute C++, 3rd Edition by Walter Savitch
  • Problems Solving with C++, 6th Edition, by Walter Savitch
  • C++ Design Patterns and Derivatives Pricing (Hardcover) by Mark S. Joshi
  • Financial Instrument Pricing Using C++ Daniel Duffy
  • Thinking in C++: Introduction to Standard C++, Volume One, by Bruce Eckel

Thanks for the list. Do you think is sensible to learn from the below before knowing C++:

C++ Design Patterns and Derivatives Pricing (Hardcover) by Mark S. Joshi
Financial Instrument Pricing Using C++ Daniel Duffy

Cheers,
K

You should know at least the basics of the language before attempting these.

... and these.

Thanks

Alain and Steve,

Thank you very much for your information. No matter how I will go through the basic C++ programming first. I don't want to fall because I tend to run before I know how to walk properly.
Financial mathematics is a long haul flight.

Cheers,
K

... and these.

advice on re-application

thinking of applying UC's Fin math for 09 fall.
rejected this year and now study mathematical finance at IIT.

anyone can help to evaluate on the chance of getting in?
background, EE + work experience in EE.
GRE 570+ 800,
gre math subj: top 31%.

Baruch MFE 2008 - what are my chances....

Hi,

Could u please evaluate my chances of admission for Baruch MFE (fall 2008)......

Degree: Dual Degree(B.Tech and M.Tech) from IIT-Madras. CGPA: 7.0/10.0 Math CGPA:8.1/10.0
Have done all the relevant courses. Grades in relevant courses (PDE:10/10,PRP:8/10,Calculus:8/10, LA:8/10)...
Major: Communication Systems, Minor : Operations Research (CGPA: 7/10)......

Work Exp: 2.5+yrs in Singapore IC Verification/Testing.......

Certifications: A few of NSE(national stock exchange , india) certifications, going to take PRM...

GRE: 800/600/600 (Q/V/A), GMAT: 700 (Q:50,V:34) AWA: 5.0, Toefl iBT: 113

How much would my CGPA hurt my chances? Can a good research experience and work experience compensate for it?
Current Baruch students please help...............

thx,

We don't make evaluations since we are only students. You should apply to the program

hi alain,

actually my main concern is the CGPA.....would a not-so-good CGPA be compensated by strong math/programming exp in research/work....

thx,

hi alain,

actually my main concern is the CGPA.....would a not-so-good CGPA be compensated by strong math/programming exp in research/work....

thx,

Hi,

To be honest, we really dont know how to access this profile even though we want to help because we are not in admission office. To me, your profile looks good, but that doesnt necessarily mean that people in the admission office hold the same view...

Hi muting,

thanks for response......
yes actually i shouldnt have posted it as "evaluate my chances"......
actually given my profile i wanted to know whether i could negate the impact of my CGPA.....
btw whats the general CGPA like of the admitted students......

thx....

Hi muting,

thanks for response......
yes actually i shouldnt have posted it as "evaluate my chances"......
actually given my profile i wanted to know whether i could negate the impact of my CGPA.....
btw whats the general CGPA like of the admitted students......

thx....

I think indian students in this program might have more authority for your question. GPA system in my country is different from yours.

Nonetheless, speculating on chances of admission without seeing the application is just speculation. We made it our policy to not do that.

As a side note: comparing GPAs from different countries is difficult. While it is possible in some countries to get 95% of A's, in others 50% A's and 50% B's is quite a good thing to have :)

As a side note: comparing GPAs from different countries is difficult. While it is possible in some countries to get 95% of A's, in others 50% A's and 50% B's is quite a good thing to have :)

This is totally true. In Cuba, college professors enjoy failing the students. I took classes with couple of them (there was no other choice).

hi guys,

thanks for the repsonse.....

so can ur argument be extended to a comparison of different branches from the same country....
what i mean is if the adcom view the CGPA of two different countries differently do they consider the relative difficulty of the two different branches from the same country........

so how are CGPA's compared when comparing different branches.........???

thx...

Back