• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

Let me put it this way: you only really need to know high school level math for the quant portion of the GRE.

Yes, but the problem with these new computerized GREs is that if you get stuck on one question, you will get clocked. Which is what happened to me on the first portion of the Q GREs. It was some geometry question which I did not remember how to solve, took a guess, and had 8 questions left with like 3 minutes. Added to the fact is that there are no calculators.

Basically if I could skip/return to questions that I'm stuck on, I'd probably get the 800. But because of this new computerized system, you run that much more of a risk of getting screwed.

...Added to the fact is that there are no calculators...

You don't need calculators. If you feel you require a calculator for a particular problem, you're approaching the problem in an incorrect manner. While a calculator would make the test easier, the test then in turn would be testing your ability to use a calculator.

As a quant, you may be asked to price some exotic contract for which there is no closed-form solution that can be punched into a calculator. What then?

I think once you finish the section you can go back to any prior question. Just write down the ones you skipped.

In fact, go to the GRE website and download their practice software. It's ugly and kludgey but it's identical to what yo uget in the testing center, so you can familiarize yourself.

You definitely don't need a calculator. In the worst case, do the arithmetic longhand.

If haven't already done so, you may want to consider purchasing one of GRE prep books. The are immensely useful, as they expose your to the type of questions generally asked on the exam. I, myself, bought the one published by ETS.

I think once you finish the section you can go back to any prior question. Just write down the ones you skipped.

Unless ETS has changed it's policy, I don't think you're allowed to go back to prior questions. That is, in effect, one reason why they use the 'adaptive tests' where the questions being asked depend on your performance on prior questions. As a result, unlike the paper-based test, each question on computer-based version isn't weighted uniformly.

Unless ETS has changed it's policy, I don't think you're allowed to go back to prior questions. That is, in effect, one reason why they use the 'adaptive tests' where the questions being asked depend on your performance on prior questions. As a result, unlike the paper-based test, each question on computer-based version isn't weighted uniformly.

You're probably right, although I thought if you finish the section and have extra time you can go back over questions. I also took this over a year ago and had a lot of other stuff going on, so my memory is quite suspect.

It's as Sanket says. Otherwise I would have said "I can't do this in 10 seconds. Skip."

Hence, every question could completely screw you over.

The first 10 questions of the adaptive test determine your score to a very fine degree, after that getting things wrong is not a big deal. You could probably get quite a few of the later questions wrong as long as you nailed the first 10 and still get an 800.

What Eugene is saying is that the computerized test gives you questions based on your current performance. So, if you get the first question right, then the next one will be a little tougher, and will carry a greater weight on your score. If you get the first question wrong, then the next question will be easier, and carry less weight. Therefore, you can get the first 10 or so questions right, and you're almost at an 800. However, if you get a few questions wrong on the front end, then you will likely not get close to 800 even if you answer the rest of the questions right.

With this in mind, you can gauge your performance based on the level of difficulty in the questions your are asked. By close to 800, I mean 780 or above.

Quite true.

However, one of my friend took GRE and he got 5 incorrect in Quant section and yet his score was 800. There are some dummy questions too.

There are very few who know that you can get a detailed review of your test after you get your AWA scores.

What Eugene is saying is that the computerized test gives you questions based on your current performance. So, if you get the first question right, then the next one will be a little tougher, and will carry a greater weight on your score. If you get the first question wrong, then the next question will be easier, and carry less weight. Therefore, you can get the first 10 or so questions right, and you're almost at an 800. However, if you get a few questions wrong on the front end, then you will likely not get close to 800 even if you answer the rest of the questions right.

With this in mind, you can gauge your performance based on the level of difficulty in the questions your are asked. By close to 800, I mean 780 or above.

I don't understand the logic behind this.

Case A

You get first 10 questions incorrect, the next 20 questions as correct.

Case B

You get first 20 questions correct, the next 10 questions as incorrect.

If the starting point is X and you get a -Y for an incorrect answer and +Y for a correct answer, then in both the cases you are at X+10Y.

If the starting point is X and you get a -Y for an incorrect answer and +Y for a correct answer, then in both the cases you are at X+10Y.

Think of it in a path-dependent sense. The outcome of the test is dependent on your past performance. If you start out well, then you're on the high road ( answers count for more if you get them right than if you get them wrong ). If you start our poorly, then you're on the low road ( a right answer counts about the same or less as a wrong one ).

I think this might be better explained in GRE documentation somehwere, as it has been a while since I've had to think about it.

The test is adaptive, once you answer a question correctly you are getting a harder question that worth more points. If you answer it wrong you get an easier question that worth less.

I don't understand the logic behind this.

Case A

You get first 10 questions incorrect, the next 20 questions as correct.

Case B

You get first 20 questions correct, the next 10 questions as incorrect.

Like Shlomi says, the questions are weighted differently in each case. In Case A the incorrect questions are weighted more than the incorrect ones in Case B.

The poor fellow who started this thread must be furious of how his question turned into the GRE grading method.
And to the people who want to get 800, just take the damn test until you hit the mark and leave the scoring to the computer. Consider A LOT of people got 800, it's a trivial task.
Now, what other suggestions we have for the fellow asking this question.

Thank you andy for speaking my mind but i am not furious :D but yes, you stressed on what i need to know from you all.

As carl mentioned, i should take few course to enhance my courses. so i researched on this area and found i could do few courses through distance education mode in my country's university. For example, MA in economics or Msc in Statistics,Applied Maths etc. without giving up my job.

But i am not sure whether such courses would be recongnised while i apply to ivy colleges? secondly, what specific subjects i should target?

Please guide me in this respect if you know any other ways or courses you people have done before applying to mfe.

"Carl --The easiest step is to retake the GRE.

You didn't post your specific math background. Take the math courses that are prerequisites for the program. If you already took those, but didn't do well, then retake them. You could also take a mathematical finance course from another school, or a math course that is recommended but not required (stochastic calculus, PDEs, etc).

You should be able to find some time to squeeze in a course while working full time. Many here have done that, or are currently doing that. "

@Carl -- My maths background --
I have done BE Computer Engineering from mubmai university,india.
In engineering we had applied mathematics in which they covered statistics,discret maths,linear algebra, etc. Also in 12 standard we had derivative,PDE,integration.

Now i do not know whether is this what constitute math background or anything else is expected when you aspire for MFE? I think anyone with engineering background from india on this forum should add his view to this question too.

Last but not least, I am enthralled by promptness of members of this forum. Within few minutes of post i found reply to my query. I appreciate that. Thank you.

Back