• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

I am weighing my chances for a NYU part time sometimes next year. Not sure where I stand in terms of my chances. I started with IT and been working with IT divisions at different investment banks over last 8 years. Plus, I have some degree of MBS Analytics ( OAS etc ) and Credit Analytics experience as well. I had Math as Minor during my undergrad days ( 1995 ) from one of the Indian universities. Then, I have couple of Masters ( one in an non-engineering science from IIT and one in Computer Science from one very average US univerisity ). Currently I am retaking some of the math undergrad courses ( like linear algebra, calculus etc ) at Baruch & Hunter and some statistics grad courses ( probability, regression, SAS etc ) at Baruch. Latest GRE quant score stands as 780 - planning for a math subject GRE sometimes next year. What are my chances for a Courant Part time?

Thanks

I am weighing my chances for a NYU part time sometimes next year. Not sure where I stand in terms of my chances. I started with IT and been working with IT divisions at different investment banks over last 8 years. Plus, I have some degree of MBS Analytics ( OAS etc ) and Credit Analytics experience as well. I had Math as Minor during my undergrad days ( 1995 ) from one of the Indian universities. Then, I have couple of Masters ( one in an non-engineering science from IIT and one in Computer Science from one very average US univerisity ). Currently I am retaking some of the math undergrad courses ( like linear algebra, calculus etc ) at Baruch & Hunter and some statistics grad courses ( probability, regression, SAS etc ) at Baruch. Latest GRE quant score stands as 780 - planning for a math subject GRE sometimes next year. What are my chances for a Courant Part time?

Thanks

Do you want the answer in percentage?

Thank you for your advice, really helpful~~
You mentioned that it would be a better choice to include a list of course content, books used in your application. I don't know how to do that, since almost all the application nowadays are adopting online procedures. They only allow you to upload your transcript but no space left for your course discriptions.
Most will allow you to upload assorted useful documents. If not, just email them direct and ask them to put the additional info to your application.
Since I am now studying in the Netherlands, it is impossible for me to include some important courses in my transcript, such as programming for EOR, Microeconomics III, and so on. And I will finish a research paper at the end of Jan. as an exam for one of my course. I think those unlisted courses and the research paper might be my shining points in the application. However, they can not be reflected in the transcript before the application deadline.
So what should I do? Mention them in the personal statement?
Put that in personal statement, email. It does not have to be formal.
What are my chances for a Courant Part time?
What is your goal doing a part-time program at NYU? It's relatively easier to get in there as long as you are currently having a job, have recently taken the required courses to get up to speed.

Can anyone pls evaluate my chances in these schools?

Hello everyone, I would like u to pls evaluate my chances at these schools.
1. Michigan
2.Cornell
3,Princeton
4.NYU,
5.Baruch.
6.Columbia
7.Rutgers.
8.Boston
9.USC
10.claremount
11.kent state
12.carnegie mellon.
13.Georgia
14.UIUC

I have graduated in Computer engineering from Pune University and my college
is quite decent and well known'

GPA=3.6/4
GRE scores=1380 (quant=790,verbal=590)
Expecting 100+ in TOEFL..

However I do not have any work ex/research papers.

Can any1 pls evaluate my chances in the above universities?

We don't evaluate chances here. The only way for you to find out is to apply to those schools. You have a descent profile, however, there are so many other variables involved in admission decision and every school has own approach to evaluate prospective students.

Good luck!

He did say pls.

Chance evaluation any1?

I'm jk lol. :D

4realz good luck!

Basically, if you're applying for an MFE program, no 800 on GRE quants seems to be a red flag, as Baruch has 800s going all around except in the lowest 25%.

However, your GPA is very solid.

SOS!! Want to know my chances in top-league MFE

While am completely aware that profile evaluation isn't the exact business of this website but still couldn't resist the urge of writing out over here. I'd like to understand my chances in one of the top league programs (Columbia, Princeton, Cornell, Michigan, NYU, CMU, etc). My profile is as follows:
a. Undergrad degree in Engineering (2006), average grades in math and overall
b. CFA Level 3 candidate (2010), FRM candidate (2010), attended LSE summer school (2008) in Advanced CorpFin
c. 3 years of 'variety-filled' workex: 1.5 years as a coder for an IB (Merrill), 1 year as a fixed-income analyst (worked across Mumbai, Singapore & Kuala Lumpur) and currently working as an equity research analyst (US tech sector)

My GRE score is 1370 (quant 750, verbal 620). TOEFL 105.

I intend to go into either trading or structuring. I do feel that my quant score is pretty dismal considering the fact that I am aiming at targets. Just wanted suggestions on whether should I retake the GRE or go ahead with the current score? (I prepared for around a week w/ job, I'm sure I can improve my scores with more efforts). Also, how difficult is it with my profile to crack any of the above mentioned universities. Would the GRE subject test help to pad up my average UG math grades? Please advice. Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi there, U have a really good profile except just for the Quant section of the GRE.
if u managed to get 1370 with just a week preparation I guess if u put in some efforts it would not be much difficult for you to manage a 1450+ along with a perfect score in quant which will really give a strong bosst to your profile.

Since the schools you have mentioned have their average escore of quant as 780-800 it might be a bit difficult with this score. I suggest u should retake and I am sure u will get a perfect score in quant..ur vebal is above the average. just concentrate on quant..

Regarding the subject GRE , university of chicage requires the subject GRE ! However , it will definitely be helpful for application to other univ as well if u manage to get a good score in it. SUbject GRE requires more in depth preparation and tests calculus and other stuff too.
All the best!

First order of business would be to retake your GRE.
Do you have all the required math, programming background to apply. If not, take those courses at any university nearby.
Your work exp is good but it alone won't get you in any of the "top program" (however you define it).
GRE Math would be a tough task given that you didn't get 800 in the GRE Q. The deadlines for 2010 of many of these programs are coming up soon so you better start cracking.

Hi Snehal and Andy,
Thanks for replying to the post. Considering your advices, I think I will retake the GRE to strengthen my application. I'm naturally very good at maths (I know my score belies that) but it's just that I had some serious time management issues in the paper. Blame it to my lack of preparation or casual attitude towards the quant section, I spent obscene amount of time on some early questions. Apart from this I did take some costly breaks too (I feel stupid in the hindsight now). But I believe these are all extraneous issues and can be taken care of with conscious efforts next time. I'm booking my GRE for the first date available in Nov (have already exhausted the Oct attempt). Hope it should be okay for the 2nd deadline :(

Hey, tats indeed a good decision u hv taken to retake the GRE.. 1 month for preparation should be fine... I too had timing probs in my GRE.. I suggest u practice the CAt's and try to complete them at home 7-8 min bfore time limit, so that u dnt hv any issues in the real exam..
I am sure this time u'll get a gr8 score...Do let us knw ur score :)
All the best!

Am I competitive enough for MSFE?

After much pondering, I have decided that I will apply for MSFE programs this application cycle at top ten schools (Columbia, NYU, Carnegie, Baruch, etc.). I graduated from a top 15 university in the US in 2008 with an honors degree in economics. I have taken the following math classes so far:

- Honors Calc/Linear Algebra
- Diff Eq
- Prob/Stats (upper level)
- Math Models for Decision Making: Stochastic Models

I have not taken any programming classes and that is my main problem. I also do not have any finance-related work experience, but I do have work experience in an academic cancer lab. So I am basically a career changer (from medicine to finance). I can def get 800 on math GRE. Do I have shot at those schools?

I do think besides the normal advice of getting 800 in the GRE, you should address your programming deficiency by taking C++ at a local college. You still have a few months before the deadlines of most schools in NYC. You don't have to finish the course by the time you apply, just the fact you taking is a bonus. If that doesn't work, you can always apply next year with a much stronger background.

Hey Andy, thanks for the response. Also, I heard that some schools grant conditional acceptance, meaning they will only allow you to enroll if you have taken a programming class before the program starts. Do you know if the NYC schools (Columbia, NYU, Baruch) do this?

my profile, is it ok?

First order of business would be to retake your GRE.
Do you have all the required math, programming background to apply. If not, take those courses at any university nearby.
Your work exp is good but it alone won't get you in any of the "top program" (however you define it).
GRE Math would be a tough task given that you didn't get 800 in the GRE Q. The deadlines for 2010 of many of these programs are coming up soon so you better start cracking.

Need some help here too. I am not able to decide on which colleges to apply. I gave my GRE day before yesterday. I don't know whether my profile is acceptable (or doable) for a good FE university.
My GRE score is 1330 (780 in Quants and 550 in Verbal).
Currently working (2.5 yrs of work experience) as a Senior Risk Analyst at a Dun & Bradstreet subsidiary in India. Work involves providing risk management consultancy (Basel II, etc) to banks (primarily those in Middle East and Africa) and acting as business analyst for software development. I have worked in Market Risk, Credit Risk and Operational Risk. Rating Model development, Capital computation, Funds Transfer Pricing, developing and implementing models and mathematical solutions for Pillar I & II (of Basel II) compliance for banks, are my primary responsibilities.

I have Bachelor's degree in Electronics & Communication Engg. from an Indian state Government college (76% marks).
I also have a Post Graduate Diploma in Banking and Finance form National Institute of Bank Management, India (9.39 CGPA).

Please provide some suggestions.

Back