• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT Mfin AD vs Columbia mafm

Which is better

• Total voters
Just be admitted by mit. Want to choose between mit Mfin 18 month and columbia mafm. May I ask for some advice? Thanks!

Last edited:
Could you suggest any reason or consideration? Thanks!
Someone mentioned that Columbia's curriculum arrangement might not be reasonable or practical, and they have a bad career service. Those are based on the information I found on the Internet. But still, I think both are good programs.

Someone mentioned that Columbia's curriculum arrangement might not be reasonable or practical, and they have a bad career service. Those are based on the information I found on the Internet. But still, I think both are good programs.
The only concern I have about Mit program is it is not a rigorous MFE program. It is a master of finance program which means it might not be quantitative enough to learn skills to do quant.

The only concern I have about Mit program is it is not a rigorous MFE program. It is a master of finance program which means it might not be quantitative enough to learn skills to do quant.
That's true.I can't answer this question but I think you can find someone in this program and ask about your concern.

Hi Wilson, I've been also admitted to Columbia.

Both are really great programs in my opinion, I didn't apply to MIT only to Columbia because I want to be in NY which is for me an advantage. The curriculum seems pretty good and at some point it depends of your background.

For example I'm from a top European MSc in Financial Markets and I wanted to dig more into technical stuff. Regarding the career service I think it's only up to you. You're gonna have to network on your own, no matter what your program is. Thinking that it will be easy because of only the brand of your program is a mistake you should not do. I personally think that the data to look at are the Employment rate at graduation and the Employment rate three months after graduation (and the Average starting base salary haha).

Once again it is only my opinion, I think you should think of what you want to take from these 12/18 months because in any case, they're both very good programs.

Last edited:
Hi Wilson, I've been also admitted to Columbia.

Both are really great programs in my opinion, I didn't apply to MIT only to Columbia because I want to be in NY which is for me an advantage. The curriculum seems pretty good and at some point it depends of your background.

For example I'm from a top European MSc in Financial Markets and I wanted to dig more into technical stuff. Regarding the career service I think it's only up to you. You're gonna have to network on your own, no matter what your program is. Thinking that it will be easy because of only the brand of your program is a mistake you should not do. I personally think that the data to look at are the Employment rate at graduation and the Employment rate three months after graduation (and the Average starting base salary haha).

Once again it is only my opinion, I think you should think of what you want to take from these 12/18 months because in any case, they're both very good programs.
thanks for sharing!

Back