• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Toronto MathFin MMF University of Toronto 2012 -Entrance Exam

Yes. I am a Chinese undergraduate just like Yang. Thank you so much for the interview experience in the previous pages. It did help me a lot in the preparation.
My pleasure! Looking forward to meeting you in August! :)

hey, has anyone gotten a rejection email? or are they leaving everyone on the hook. I had my interview over a month ago and they said they will get back to me by the end of the month. You guys think it will be a good idea to email them about my status?

hey, has anyone gotten a rejection email? or are they leaving everyone on the hook. I had my interview over a month ago and they said they will get back to me by the end of the month. You guys think it will be a good idea to email them about my status?
your status is still under review?

Hi guys, its time to plan for our living in Toronto this Fall, I have estimated my budget below, please comment if you are there as I've never lived in Toronto and being an international student I may not have a good estimation:

+ Tuition + Incidental fee + international isurance $25,000/year (assume 100% got internship)

+ Housing: $300 (share the house with another classmate based on average $600 per house near to downtown area)
+ Cell Phone + internet: $30/month (share with flatmate)
+ Food: $150/month (assume $5 a day on self cooking)
+ Transportation: $100/month (assume $3 a day go back and forth to school)
+ Toiletries (shampoo, toothpaste, haircut etc): $100/month
+ Other expenses (movies/entertainment etc): $20/month

Total personal expense for 1 year: $700 x 12 = $8400

+ Books: $200/year (can buy used books)

Total expenses for 1 year: $33,600

based on this, i expected to source for a fund of 40K to cover some other accidental expenses, will that be sufficient?

Btw, is it easy to find a part time job near to the campus?

u plan to live in downtown? I would say you underestimated your rent and food costs.

although rare but what happened in the unfortunate situation that you may not get an internship? They said it was 100% in the past but you should prepare for the worst, in case you don't have an internship you can still continue with the program instead of dropping out or having to find immediate fund at last minute. There is a cost of living estimation by U of T here, this was for 2010 so you can increase a bit for inflation to have the 2012-2013 figure:
http://www.cie.utoronto.ca/Coming/Living-Here/Cost-of-Living.htm#cost

Accommodation
$7300 - $14 000

Food
$4000 - $5500
Clothing
$1200 - $2000

Local Transportation
$1188 ($99 per month)
¤
Miscellaneous
$1200 - $2400
§
Books, Supplies and Instruments
$1000
Θ
University Health Insurance Plan
$684 (as of Sept. 2011)

?
TOTAL
$16 572 - $26 772

yeah, toronto's sgs website does not update anyways, people who got admitted still had "under review". Maybe they dont send out rejection letters?
i did not hear anyone who got rejection letter from mmf. I suggest you ask them so that your time wont be wasted. Good luck.

i did not hear anyone who got rejection letter from mmf. I suggest you ask them so that your time wont be wasted. Good luck.
I also interviewed last month but no news yet, I think they target specific groups first. Online status still shows as Under Review

Thank you jondan;):

I am an international student too.
I have noticed that the accommodation expense would be much less if living off-campus in downtown, while, as some
one who first came to Canada, I'm worried that this would cause some trouble or be quite inconvenient.
What do you think of this?

Hi guys, its time to plan for our living in Toronto this Fall, I have estimated my budget below, please comment if you are there as I've never lived in Toronto and being an international student I may not have a good estimation:

+ Tuition + Incidental fee + international isurance $25,000/year (assume 100% got internship)

+ Housing: $300 (share the house with another classmate based on average $600 per house near to downtown area)
+ Cell Phone + internet: $30/month (share with flatmate)
+ Food: $150/month (assume $5 a day on self cooking)
+ Transportation: $100/month (assume $3 a day go back and forth to school)
+ Toiletries (shampoo, toothpaste, haircut etc): $100/month
+ Other expenses (movies/entertainment etc): $20/month

Total personal expense for 1 year: $700 x 12 = $8400

+ Books: $200/year (can buy used books)

Total expenses for 1 year: $33,600

based on this, i expected to source for a fund of 40K to cover some other accidental expenses, will that be sufficient?

Btw, is it easy to find a part time job near to the campus?

The price of $600 is per person in downtown Toronto. 300$ is if you live up town but that would introduce about 104$( metro pass) for transportation plus the time spent commuting.

Cell phones plans here are about 25$/ per month for a good plan that gives you good service you can probably get one for 17.50$ from mobilicity but the service is poor (my friend has this plan). From my experience internet bills are upward of 40$ so if you are sharing with 4 people that is still 10$/person per month.

Transportation is 104$/per month for the student metropass from the TTC.

20$/month for entertainment ? hahaha sorry it is funny. I assume you are not going to be going out at all. Food downtown cost about 12$ per plate(before taxes and no drinks also excluding tip) in a okay restuarant. If you could go to China town and maybe you can pay 8$. A movie at AMC is around 20$ no drinks, no snacks.

200$/year for books is a serious underestimation. Most math books cost atleast 100$ brand new. Used books with be atleat 60$ each. Now multiply that by the number of courses that you think will use textbooks.

Thank you jondan;):

I am an international student too.
I have noticed that the accommodation expense would be much less if living off-campus in downtown, while, as some
one who first came to Canada, I'm worried that this would cause some trouble or be quite inconvenient.
What do you think of this?

I know this is address to Jondan but I school in downtown Toronto and I go to school with international students and this is not an issue that I have ever heard from any of my friends. Toronto is very tourist friendly and it is easy to get around once you know where you want to go.

I know this is address to Jondan but I school in downtown Toronto and I go to school with international students and this is not an issue that I have ever heard from any of my friends. Toronto is very tourist friendly and it is easy to get around once you know where you want to go.

Thank you, friendly dismantler;)~~

Back