• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Toronto MathFin MMF University of Toronto 2012 -Entrance Exam

well so i guess my gpa is just too low to make the cut, it seems like doing undergraduate again is the only way to get past admission at programs that emphasize on gpa; this is perhaps the difference of admission process at Canadian schools and universities oversea but well I have decided to study in canada so this is my only choice, life must go on no matter what
yeah. the admission criteria is kinda weird based on what i heard....and risk is not the only choice, somehow, you can find better job instead of risk....... got rid of risk is not a bad thing, good luck on ur career path!

well so i guess my gpa is just too low to make the cut, it seems like doing undergraduate again is the only way to get past admission at programs that emphasize on gpa; this is perhaps the difference of admission process at Canadian schools and universities oversea but well I have decided to study in canada so this is my only choice, life must go on no matter what
how long have u been out of school? they emphasized to me that they don't like ppl who are out of school for too long (>4 years) when i went to the info session.

doing another undergrad just to get into mmf seems like a lot of work... have u thought about doing a stats master instead? there's also not a lot of quant positions (FO) in canada, so u should think twice before committing to this.

how long have u been out of school? they emphasized to me that they don't like ppl who are out of school for too long (>4 years) when i went to the info session.

doing another undergrad just to get into mmf seems like a lot of work... have u thought about doing a stats master instead? there's also not a lot of quant positions (FO) in canada, so u should think twice before committing to this.

yes, i am out of school for 3+ years; well, no pain no gain, I did a bad mistake not to focus on gpa when i was an undergrad so I've have to change it, this is not only for mmf, i will apply for other programs too (waterloo is also a very good one) and it seems most are focusing on gpa anyway, i can do the degree part time so that will not be too much a burden financially

Work hard and apply for US schools next year! my classmate whos accepted by toronto this yr doesnt have great gpa either. he would call us six times in a day right bfr the final project is due hoping to copy our work. his enrollment is already a joke among the math students at my school since many of us had bad class experience with him. i feel toronto is not being responsible for selecting students fairly (maybe im wrong). but at least most US schools emphasize on programming-skill shaping, which is something toronto doesnt offer. Cheers~ :)
Thank you, Yitong. I will go to work fulltime soon and apply for next year.:)

How many people are on the waiting list?
I send them email just now, here is the reply:
Unfortunately, when (and if) there may be an opening will not be before mid-July because the Program is abolutely full currently.
If you don't wish to stay in our 'waiting pool' (without ranking), please let me know.

is there really an official waitlist? I thought those that was interviewed and then wait forever till rejected were waitlister? if people with low gpa can get in then i have no idea how the selection process was done, why don't they require GRE score which is more standardized way to compare people at different schools (some are real easy ones where 50% have A+, others need to die hard to compete for a quota of 3% of A in the class of 100+ students), the new GRE is really hard to get perfect score so it is easier to differentiate candidates from different schools and different countries

I send them email just now, here is the reply:
Unfortunately, when (and if) there may be an opening will not be before mid-July because the Program is abolutely full currently.
If you don't wish to stay in our 'waiting pool' (without ranking), please let me know.
if you are an international student, I believe that this is not possible since the visa will take a long time to process, I have a friend who is admitted to Waterloo and his visa take 2 months to process with a lot of documentations, you should highlight with them so they can communicate faster if they really have a spot open for you, mid july is really close to starting of the class

if you are an international student, I believe that this is not possible since the visa will take a long time to process, I have a friend who is admitted to Waterloo and his visa take 2 months to process with a lot of documentations, you should highlight with them so they can communicate faster if they really have a spot open for you, mid july is really close to starting of the class
Yes, that's a problem.

Work hard and apply for US schools next year! my classmate whos accepted by toronto this yr doesnt have great gpa either. he would call us six times in a day right bfr the final project is due hoping to copy our work. his enrollment is already a joke among the math students at my school since many of us had bad class experience with him. i feel toronto is not being responsible for selecting students fairly (maybe im wrong). but at least most US schools emphasize on programming-skill shaping, which is something toronto doesnt offer. Cheers~ :)
yeah. mmf is not a good choice for those who have strong programming skills coz even if after graduation, there is few chance to touch the algo stuff.....

No, but I guess I have no opportunity in the other programs either..
don't worry Qunli, try looking for employment now, if they call you then it is good, if not then next year you are a stronger candidate with a year of work experience, a better GRE score and more credentials, i am sure you will get into a program of choice

don't worry Qunli, try looking for employment now, if they call you then it is good, if not then next year you are a stronger candidate with a year of work experience, a better GRE score and more credentials, i am sure you will get into a program of choice
Thank you. Good luck to both of us and all friends in this long thread. Work harder, keep hope, life is long enough that anything can happen.:)

Got admitted to U of Minnesota, Master of Financial Mathematics.

Got admitted to U of Minnesota, Master of Financial Mathematics.

Hello Qunli, I too got admitted to U of Minnesota, MFM. My I-20 has majors written as Applied Mathematics and duration is 36 months.Do you happen to have an idea if it is correct?

Hello Qunli, I too got admitted to U of Minnesota, MFM. My I-20 has majors written as Applied Mathematics and duration is 36 months.Do you happen to have an idea if it is correct?
Hi Anuradha ! Please don't worry about this -- it is correct. Not all major titles are part of the SEVIS system and so sometimes we must assign the closest name possible to your actual major that is a SEVIS choice, in order to issue your I-20.

I have got my Visa! Good luck!

Hi Anuradha ! Please don't worry about this -- it is correct. Not all major titles are part of the SEVIS system and so sometimes we must assign the closest name possible to your actual major that is a SEVIS choice, in order to issue your I-20.

I have got my Visa! Good luck!
Ahh...Congrats! And thanks for the reply.Another quick one - how would you rate the programme? I happen to drop email to students already in the programme - but no reply, yet!

Hope to see you there!

Back