• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MS Quantitative Methods and Modeling at Zicklin or MA in Economics at Hunter College

Hi guys,

I have been accepted at both programs and currently debating which one to attend. I do understand that the 2 programs completely differ in focus.

I already have an MS in Applied Maths from Stony Brook University, unfortunately because the H1-B lottery mess I need to go back to school while hunting for job at the same time.

Any thoughts about either program?

I am afraid that with a MS degree in Applied Maths I don't know how much I will gain from the MA in quantitative methods at Zicklin. However, given that I really enjoy economics, I think that I will probably gain more from the MA in economics at hunter.

As far job market, which program would have an edge? I am sure most will say Zicklin probably has better career services, but I just want your thoughts...

Finally, if I go to Zicklin's MS program, will I be able to take a course in the MFE program. I don't know C++ but I took Numerical linear algebra, real analysis, PDEs, and an Intro course to quant finance while in my master program at Stony Brook.

thanks guys!

Finally, if I go to Zicklin's MS program, will I be able to take a course in the MFE program.

I don't know if this is possible but you will need to ask.

My understanding of the QM&M program is that is allows for some flexibility and encourages you have input into the curriculum, to a point. While the general framework seems to allow for it, as Alain said, you would need permission to do so.

Regardless of your concentrationi at Stony Brook (I'm assuming it was CAM), QMM won't be of much use to you. If you did some OR or Stats, then you won't learn much. QMM might be good for you in case you just want to study "anywhere" to keep your visa status. Economics is a better choice especially because you like it.

Finally, if I go to Zicklin's MS program, will I be able to take a course in the MFE program. I don't know C++ but I took Numerical linear algebra, real analysis, PDEs, and an Intro course to quant finance while in my master program at Stony Brook.

You can register for MFE courses if seats are available and you meet the prerequisites. Usually, the MFE classes are overbooked by MFE students, so finding seats is hard. You also need strong math and programming skills to do well in those classes.

Back