• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

musings about mid-career change from an outsider

Hello everyone, this is a nice site, informative and quite dynamic. It has been interesting reading the posts and articles.
My background is a PhD in EE from one of the top depts. I worked under a 'big name', we had a startup which was bought by a multinational. For the last 9 years I have been working for that multi, my day job is designing and architecting cutting edge solutions in the semiconductor chip business (not big microprocessors like Intel, but smaller and faster analog solutions).
My night job is to review the markets and setup the next days position. I am fairly active, averaging over a hundred trades a year in both stocks and options. I don't have the luxury to day trade, but take positions at the close based on several trading programs I developed many years ago as a way to learn about the markets. I continue to refine them.
I am already knee-deep in my own research of the markets and I have started contemplating a move to the finance industry. The attraction is to bring methods and approaches I have learned in one modern industry into another vast, modern industry. It is also a choice that I want to make as I see my current industry stagnating and shrinking.
Which brings me to this forum, with the foll. questions.

1. what skills should I present and strengthen as I prepare a resume for the trading / algorithm development / app development / modeling side of the finance industry ? There must be a minimum threshold below which employers dont look at your cv. what is that threshold ?

2. will I benefit from a degree program ? is there an online degree program that is of repute ? In my humble opinion, the PhD opened many doors for me, but my real skills were developed in the industry. I would prefer a move directly to the industry, however I do realize that its difficult to get doors to open.

3. with a background like mine, should I be looking in some other area of finance ?

I would love to hear from members, esp. if there are those who have crossed over to finance from engineering.

I think you should be looking at evenning or part time programs, keep your job, and then make a slow transition. That will be the safest. Now that depends as to how close you are to a university.

I think you should open your own firm rather than working for a company. But, thats just me!

talk to a recruiter. Don't waste time and/or money. Search QN - the same names are mentioned over and over again.

In fact there are a few b-schools and evening programs where I live (Denver metro), but an MBA is not what I have in mind. the exposure is too broad in my opinion.

Opening up a firm -- I can only think of the trading that I already do and take it to the next level - essentially a 100% commitment. As an aside, I was looking at the website updown.com and was thinking of having a track record of sorts. Results always speak for themselves.

Scouring the web I have also come across the CFA program that many tout as a must-have. It seems geared more for an asset-management line of work. Still the cost is reasonable and the curriculum did not seem draconian.

I think you should be looking at evenning or part time programs, keep your job, and then make a slow transition. That will be the safest. Now that depends as to how close you are to a university.

I think you should open your own firm rather than working for a company. But, thats just me!

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

thanks, I will look into it .. I have an old fashioned way of thinking that specialized degrees are always needed.

talk to a recruiter. Don't waste time and/or money. Search QN - the same names are mentioned over and over again.

Back