• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Navy pinstripe suit for interview of quantitative research(C++)

Hi

I wondered what kind of navy pinstripe suit would be a little flashy for interview of quantitative research.

rk00041_navy.jpg

Is the image of the navy pinstripe suit I uploaded a little flashy for junior guy in an interview of quantitative research?

Thanks

C++11 (and C++14!) programmers wear this croquet suit
Seriously, I thought pin-stripe went out of fashion in the sixties.

ace9b491ab3519cd42eae980613e9aea.jpg

Last edited:
Instead of splurging that $2000 on Brooks Brothers, the money could be used on a bunch of Quant interview review books to come across as sharper. Dress to the occasion but not overboard and avoid wearing an expensive watch.

Old guys like myself tend to cut young guys like yourself some slack as long as you don't look too hip or funky.

That said, Brooks Brothers is always a safe bet.

Instead of splurging that $2000 on Brooks Brothers, the money could be used on a bunch of Quant interview review books to come across as sharper. Dress to the occasion but not overboard and avoid wearing an expensive watch.

Agreed. In UK M&S do some nice suits for £100. I went to client meetings in them in the past and if they are good enough for that they are good enough for interview. Plus it's not OTT and you wind up with most of that $2k to spend on quant prep books.

Have limited experience with hiring (and in another sector) but I've seen enough to know that overly sharp in suit makes any technical interviewer want to grill them. It makes me suspicious of them and just reminds me of overbearing arseholes in retail stores that are actually pretty bad at their job (did several customer service jobs in college, so I know what I'm talking about).

Equally I wouldn't be doing half arsed stuff like slacks + shirt and pullover, or trying to be rebel coming in smelling of BO and unshaven - I've not seen this yet but it would antagonise me as I could imagine if clients were in they wouldn't dress up or say the right thing (or more to the point not say the wrong thing) not to mention they fuel unfair stereotypes about mathematicians.

Back