• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NCSU MFM NCSU awaiting decision

I am seeing a lot of NCSU vs NYU Tandon questions.

I'll post my answer on this thread.
Please note that I haven't applied to any of the programs.

1. The class size of NCSU is smaller, which is a huge advantage. More focused attention and less inter-uni competition for interviews.
2. NYU Tandon is located in NY which might be an advantage for some people but I don't see it as a plus point in 2024.
3. Charlotte is also a good location as the headquarters of several investment banks which prefer to hire locally.
4. Not sure about NCSU but I have placement data from NYU, which shows that less students have been placed in quant roles. Many students were in fact placed in tech companies in software roles. (I cannot share this data in any case sorry :/)
5. Fees for NCSU are a lot lesser as compared to NYU.
6. Also, NYU just got a new director, not sure if this is a plus or a negative point.

If I had to pick, I would pick NCSU.

1. The class size of NCSU is smaller, which is a huge advantage. More focused attention and less inter-uni competition for interviews.
2. NYU Tandon is located in NY which might be an advantage for some people but I don't see it as a plus point in 2024.
3. Charlotte is also a good location as the headquarters of several investment banks which prefer to hire locally.
4. Not sure about NCSU but I have placement data from NYU, which shows that less students have been placed in quant roles. Many students were in fact placed in tech companies in software roles. (I cannot share this data in any case sorry :/)
6. Also, NYU just got a new director, not sure if this is a plus or a negative point.

Thanks @mr_spectre for the detailed reply

From what I've seen, almost all graduates from NCSU seems to go for Sell side roles, mostly in Risk/modelling and negligible in research/trading.
What could be the reason for that? Would NYU be a better choice for someone trying to go towards the Buy side(research/trading)?

Back