• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NCSU FinMath VS IIT MMF

I got admissions from these two programs, they both have no famous brand and the reputations of these two are close. As far as I know:

NCSU FinMath: about 40 students in this class and half of them are international students. The courses are tough but flexible. Location is not so good. Weak connection with finance industry.

IIT MMF: Small class, about 20+ in this program, almost all are international students. Attractive location. Good curriculum. Bad career service.

It's hard for me to reach a decision, I really need some suggestions especially from the practitioner, thanks.

See which curriculum you like better . Pick based on that. if there is a tie pick IIT for better location.

I got admissions from these two programs, they both have no famous brand and the reputations of these two are close. As far as I know:

NCSU FinMath: about 40 students in this class and half of them are international students. The courses are tough but flexible. Location is not so good. Weak connection with finance industry.

IIT MMF: Small class, about 20+ in this program, almost all are international students. Attractive location. Good curriculum. Bad career service.

It's hard for me to reach a decision, I really need some suggestions especially from the practitioner, thanks.

You admitted that both aren't so good with career services. So why do you want the masters at all? Seems like a waste of money to me. Get work experience, apply again to better schools, imo.

See which curriculum you like better . Pick based on that. if there is a tie pick IIT for better location.

Yes Chicago is far better than Raleigh, I just wonder what made NCSU ranks such high on Quantnet's MFE program ranking?

You admitted that both aren't so good with career services. So why do you want the masters at all? Seems like a waste of money to me. Get work experience, apply again to better schools, imo.
I have considered about gaping a year, actually as a international student I can update my weak TOEFL, but I am afraid that maybe the routine works will quench my passion for learning MFE abroad.

Yes Chicago is far better than Raleigh, I just wonder what made NCSU ranks such high on Quantnet's MFE program ranking?

Location alone does not determine the ranking. NCSU is a top 20 Engineering School. The stats dept is also very good.

The 2009 MFE ranking used a specific set of public data.
The 2011 MFE ranking will use a more conventional approach (think US News) so you will see a different set of programs being ranked.

The 2009 MFE ranking used a specific set of public data.
The 2011 MFE ranking will use a more conventional approach (think US News) so you will see a different set of programs being ranked.
I hope it can come out soon..

Back