• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Need Advice: Rutgers MSMF vs. Gatech QCF

Joe Ross

Rutgers MSMF Student
Does anyone have a take on Rutgers MSMF vs. Georgia Tech QCF? Which name is more reputable in the quant community for job placement?

What kind of quant do you want to be? If you're biased towards energy then definitely go to GT, otherwise it won't matter much.

Right now I am not really sure. I am from an engineering background, so I am new to finance. About as far as I have gotten is wanting to be on the buy side. If they are both the same then GT seems appealing, $15K (in-state) tuition vs. $45K. However, I am willing to pony up the additional cash for a better program.

From GT, you can get a job on the buy side. There have been some graduates each year that have been offered full-time positions at prop shops, hedge funds, and buy side/sell side of I banks. Top energy trading firms (as well as commodity trading firms) do recruit heavily from GT as well due to the director being a prominent expert in electricity derivatives pricing and analysis and having industry connections. I cannot say much about Rutgers, but I am sure that if you are a good student there as well, you will be able to find a job.

From what I have seen though, if you are looking to work at a hedge fund, you need to have experience in some area of expertise, whether it being computer programming, understanding a sector, or trading a financial product. You will have a difficult time getting a job if you are not a good student and do not have good experience. I would recommend choosing the program where you will have less out-of-pocket costs, and a program like GT, which has some backing of state funding, could mean $0(in-state)-$14k(out-of-state) in tuition if you obtain a GRA.

That is great info on GT. I have been accepted to both programs and am trying to decide. Is my lack of finance experience going to hurt me once I finish the program and try to find a job? Assuming, all else equal, and I am a good student. Thanks.

No, it will not hurt you, it can only help you. I do not know your background so I cannot tell you your chances of obtaining a job through the program. All I can tell you is that most students get placed upon graduation of the program, although the position and company varies from student to student. Most international students obtain a job in their home country, but there have been several students to get a job in the US at a top firm. If you can speak the language fluently of the country that you are trying to work in then your lack of finance experience will not hurt you, as is the case of most MFE programs.

Thanks! Does anyone have a counterpoint for Rutgers?

Back