• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Needs help on intern hunting, thanks!

Hi guys,

I just got a financial computing master offer from a UK top school, starting September this year; and this program is actually more inclined to programing and computing (IT), rather than mathematics.

I do think that I need to go out getting a intern or even just work experience in a small company will definitely do great help on my CV and future job hunting. However, my bachelor degree was totally not relevant to finance (my major was marketing).

How am I supposed to get an intern or work experience, please do advise me, guys. Any help is appreciated.

And with all due respect, please do not state that there is no chance; and I do think most of time is all about reaching out and making it. Whatever the way is, there's got to be a possible and realistic way to make it.

Sorry guys and I know that the information may be too vague and please let me know if there is anything that I can add on so you can provide your advices.

Great thanks, guys.

No free resources? what about cheap ones?

Go to WSO (WallSreetOasis.com) and search for CapIQ request threads. There are threads with lists of IBanks and HFunds by region.

Of course, they don't designate whether they provide interships. That would be fairly unreasonable...

Go to WSO (WallSreetOasis.com) and search for CapIQ request threads. There are threads with lists of IBanks and HFunds by region.

Of course, they don't designate whether they provide interships. That would be fairly unreasonable...
Thank you. I will check it. I used to have access to CapIQ. I wonder if MFE programs have it.

I work for an asset mgmt firm..(sadly in IT) that invests pension money in a lotta hedge funds..have access to adress/ph no. through back end db :)

I could send u a list but i'd lose my job ;)

@Lin,
Let not do it. There are better and more legitimate ways to get access to the relevant info.

By the way, I'm setting a system on Quantnet to connect direct employers to our members. Probably won't benefit current job/internship seekers but it will help others.

Hi Andy, though I am in UK currently, the list is gonna be helpful in the future and thanks a lot for that.
By the way, I am currently working for a retail company for living and I have got no other source to fund myself next year apart from
working for them. I am wondering if it is a good idea for me to go for an internship, which most possibly is unpaid, and quit from this retail job. By doing so, I hope to get ready for my next year's study and future career in finance.

I have got some friends suggesting me that keep this retail job as a living source, and wait until I start my study in this September to do a part time internship during my study.

Would you mind giving some advices on these two options? I do not think I am calm enough at this moment to make a good decision. Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't recommend unpaid internship. If you can't pay for food and rent, unpaid internship just adds to the misery. Any relevant internship to your future career is not going to be unpaid. No respectable financial firm is going to exploit people this way.

This is mostly not true. There are students who have previously graduated from MFE programs (Baruch included) who did an unpaid internship during the summer and got hired by the firm full-time after graduation with a good salary. Many firms especially boutiques and hedge funds do primarily unpaid internships which is basically an EXTENDED interview. This year itself, one of my friends from the program did an unpaid internship during the spring semester for 2 months as a trial and now has been extended an offer to do a well paid internship in the summer at a hedge fund. A big hedge fund for that matter (3B +)

If there is a no system for the internship to go paid down the line or possible full-time hiring after graduation then you can re-think it. If you have ZERO financial experience and this is the only way to get some, then doing an unpaid internship has mostly benefits as long as you do relevant work.

BTW, are you searching in companies' announcements or on a general web sites. You can search on recruiters' web sites. I have come across many of interns recently.

Back