• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet forum software

can I edit the font size/zoom level? It just seems like a really big font. I have a greasemonkey script to save my zoom level to get around it, but is it configurable?

Downloaded the Android App (for HTC Evo). Up until now, I've been using Quantnet on my phone's browser. I have to say, the App makes things much easier to deal with. Have not encountered any issues yet! Will keep you posted.

iPhone app first thoughts - sweet.

A bit of a nitpicking thing. On the upper left of each main screen (forums, current, conversations) is an exit button. When you click into a thread this turns into a 'back' button. Not the best of designs. A bumpy bus ride = multiple unintended exits.

Attachments aren't showing up (not sure if they will in the full version?) - that would be cool!

Current: Would be nice if the thread filtering set up on the web was maintained. Im a little mixed on the preview display, it takes up a whole lot of real estate but its kind of growing on me.

Within each thread, the most recent post is on the top (!!!) can we have that feature in the web version? ;)

Otherwise, looking great!!

Good catch Amanda. Attachments are not showing up in the Android version as well ...

Thank you both for providing feedback on the mobile apps for iphone/Android. That's very valuable as I don't have either device to test.
@APalley
Can you send me a screenshots of how a Latex post appear?

@amanda.jayne
Can you confirm the Latex problem?

On Latest post box on the desktop version: don't know if you are aware of the Option link on the bottom right of that box where you can lower the number of items appear as well as blocking posts from forums you are not participating in (Hello refresher)
It's a custom app we built for the desktop browser specifically and with real time push notification, you may not need this in the mobile app.
On latest post on top in thread view: maybe it's my sneaky app developer but I will have to see a screenshot for proof. I suspect that option for desktop version would come along soon.

Full Feature List of the Quantnet Mobile App

• Native Android/iPad/iPhone support
  • iOS 4 multitasking support
  • Browse your favorite forums in an easy-to-use-interface with multiple notification types (private message, subscription, etc)
  • Fully customizable home screen with your favorite forums
  • FREE PUSH NOTIFICATION SUPPORT : Get private message and subscribed thread updates from your favorite forums in the background!
  • Poll updates (private messages/subscriptions) from favorites on home screen - shows you a summary of which forums you have new messages or subscriptions on!
  • Graphical display of polls - view results and vote on polls
  • Image attachment thumbnail and full size viewing from threads
  • View a thread's image attachments in one convenient screen (much like the native iPhone "Photo" app)
  • Save thread images to your iPhone/iPod touch library
  • Fully searchable forums!
  • Multi-quote support
  • View embedded links without leaving the app, including YouTube videos
  • Supports portrait AND landscape mode
  • Full posting options (quote posts, start new thread, etc)
  • Attach unlimited photos from your library (or take a photo from the camera and attach it)
  • Full support for private messages and private message folders
  • Full support for thread subscriptions - track your favorite threads and be updated via push when they have new posts!
Some screen shots of Forum Runner running on iPhone/Android

Push notification updates while outside the app:

push.png
push.png

Image attachment browser from a thread:

photoviewer.png
photoviewer.png

Fully searchable forums:

search.png
search.png

Full forum browsing:

browse.png
browse.png

Here is a screenshot of latex. This reply was posted from my phone, so it will be a good test of the attachment capability.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110310_100427.png
    ForumRunner_20110310_100427.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 12
Andy Nguyen said:
Thanks @APalley
I see the Latex code is not being parsed.
Are you able to reply and even attach using the FREE android app? Or did you buy the full version?
I actually have the full version. I downloaded it prior to reading your post on this thread-my browser popped an alert that the App was available so I decided to give it a try.

Andy Nguyen said:
Ah, I turn off that prompt so people don't go out and spend money on something we will make available FREE to everyone here.

So with the full version, can you see attachments, use Push and everything on the feature list I post earlier?

Not a big deal - was only 1.99 :) Push is a great feature which seems to be working fine. The only two things that do not seem to be working are viewing/uploading attachments other than images, and attaching to a private message.

Thanks @APalley
We pay hundreds of dollar a year to host our apps on the Market Place instead of our members having to pay $1.99 for it.
With an increasing number of members using their phone to access Quantnet, it just makes sense to me to make it convenient and FREE for all.

The core system does not support attachment in private message so the mobile app does not have it yet. It may come as a hack later on.

Can you attach a screenshot of what you see on this link
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/credit-derivatives-research-papers.935/

The first post has attachment of PDF files.

Here is the screenshot. This leads to another issue: links to forums open in the browser, not in the app. Had to find that manually.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110310_114111.png
    ForumRunner_20110310_114111.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 10
Here is the screenshot. This leads to another issue: links to forums open in the browser, not in the app. Had to find that manually.
Got it.
PDF attachments are not currently supported. I'm curious to know how would your phone open a PDF file like it would an image?
Can you use your phone browser, go to that location and click on the PDF attachment? What happens then?

@joel_b
Which version you are using? OS version? Phone?

Can you attach some screenshots? I don't have iphone/Android to test so I'll past it to my developer but everything should be configurable.

oh it wasn't on phone. I was on firefox - osx. Just seemed a little big but I also use 8t tahoma on my excel spreadsheets so it's probably just me.

Also i don't see an option to hide avatars, just signatures. Avatar hiding would be nice.

@Andy Nguyen could you tell me how to tag users in a post please?

Edit: Ah it works on QN but not on XF.com - I assume tagging users is an add-on.

@Andy Nguyen
Thanks for clarifying. The Latest Replies custom app, is this the box with the 10 latest posts in top of your /forum page?

I hope not as that seems quite basic forum functionality to me.

Back