• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet forum software

Great Andy! I like the new interface. Ive been walking through it now and find it more flexible, interesting with more capabilities. I hope everyone will like. I already got used to it.

Hey Andy, looking good :)
Any chance of the most recent post showing up at the top as it did in the past? (or an external click option to show most recent?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance of the most recent post showing up at the top as it did in the past? (or an external click option to show most recent?)

It is done. As it was previously.

Hey Andy, looking good :)

Amanda, it's the first thing we added to the new software. It should show on top like previously and you have a whole lot more options now.

Can you clear browser's cache and retry?

Two others -

the ability to edit a post - has that moved?
Also recent posts - would it be possible to add a category field? ;)

Hey Andy - chronologically all pages Ive looked at have the earliest post at the top of the page. When I click into a thread, it brings me to the first unread post - not an issue for those with a few replies, but for some of the bigger threads I seldom view, its bringing me to the beginning or middle which is a bit disorienting.

not liking this new design tbh

Guys I respect your opinions but I need to express that as we see nothing has been removed or lost. Just added: New functionality, many capabilities making the forum smarter, more interesting and flexible. If the adoption is the problem , it is usual. I already got used and like it since I met the new stuff what I was expecting when registered. So if we agree that many things have been added (and it's a fact) we can argue about the design and background infinitely and never arrive at consensus since there are thousands of members. Do you think that the previous design was the outcome of agreement between all the members?! So I think we can argue justifiebly about the functions that would be good if added or removed or corrected but not dislike the new style just because there is a white background. With much respects!

Also... I don't really like the white background.
I have to agree. I think the new layout and functionality add value. But the previous background (or any other dark background) is much easier on the eyes for extended reading.

Some iOS developers get this, for the example, on the Bloomberg App for IPhones and IPads, the default background is black and makes it much easier on the eyes. Also, the Amazon Kindle reader for the IPhone and IPad give the option to read against a darker background and make it much easier to read. An easier to read background will make it a more comfortable website for viewers to spend their time on, whether they're aware of the effect or not.

I think the older color scheme should be kept at least in some form, it was very recognizable and in my opinion was in some way a part of the Quantnet brand.

Besides that issue I think the new functionality and layout is well done.

But the previous background (or any other dark background) is much easier on the eyes for extended reading.

That's what I was thinking about recently Ezra. I don't know if there are some standard combination of colors that are easily recognized by every eye. OK. Moderators will probably think about it. Anyway, we all appreciate the work they conducted. Colors are just small details.

Tsotne: Adoption is clearly the bulk of it -

Do bear in mind that many of us use Quantnet as a required part of our coursework and are running under tight deadlines. The changes to usability (for better or worse) without the ability to revert back to the old for a transition period while the kinks are ironed out is time consuming.

I tried to filter out courses I am not taking in the recent threads but this did not solve the problem. It is not worth the time to click into 'homework 2' unless I know which class it is for - as a result I am bi-passing this section altogether. (Is there a way to 'widget'-ize the main page?)

The way I see it you have two distinct user groups - those who use the forum for academic/technical purposes and those who read the forums more casually. For the first group, access to information takes priority over added form and functionality. I would just as happily access the information via kemit (just sayin' :) )

While Im hijacking the thread, the email alerts of private/visitor messages is great!!
:D

I tried to filter out courses I am not taking in the recent threads but this did not solve the problem. It is not worth the time to click into 'homework 2' unless I know which class it is for - as a result I am bi-passing this section altogether. (Is there a way to 'widget'-ize the main page?)

I also noticed that on the "most recent posts" part. Inside the classes themselves there are intellisense which helps more or less identify the thread by its first message. As for the information access, I don't think it is time consuming to search the desired thread unless you mean the lack of category field. I am the member of the first group you provided. Seems you are unreasonably on a rampage. To summarize what I said: We can state suggestions about the functionality issues and advice to correct some things. Regardless the details we discuss and arguing on some colors and layouts, we must keep remembering that people put a lot of effort in it and cannot simply say:
The changes to usability (for better or worse) without the ability to revert back to the old for a transition period while the kinks are ironed out is time consuming.
Andy said to ask questions and he'll help you identify problems and keep on track. I also would like to have category field since I found it very helpful.

Give it a week and I promise you will not want to go back to the old software.

Regardless of some details I already don't want to go back. Although I miss some good friends like category field, posts per day (since we could identify how frequent a user is), and top posters' rating. :)

Back