• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Hi Everyone,
I'm Al, I just received a Bachelors in Finance this past May, and hoping to become an MFE student soon. I'm happy to have found out about this site, it has been very helpful to me. Also glad to be part of this great community.

To Say Hello

Hello Everyone;

I just wanted to join in on the newbie thread. I am currently an investments analyst in equity derivatives at a pension plan in Toronto, Canada. I've graduated from a master's program at the University of Waterloo in Statistics and Finance. I have registered for the Advanced Risk and Portfolio Management course this month, hoping to brush up and expand my quant skills.

Pleased to meet you.

Hello Everyone,

I am from and I live in Jamaica, found this site by doing alot of googling. I have a degree in computer science, and I am really interested in Financial Engineering. I hope Ill be a permanent part of the community.

OG

Hi Everyone,

I am a part-time MFE student in Singapore. I am working as a IT analyst in a Foreign Bank.
I would like to be an arbitrage trader in 2-3 years.

hi everybody, glad to be here

Hello quants -

I am Andrey Lvovsky, and I am new here. I found this community through Baruch site, and it looks really cool! A few words about me:

- LOOKING FOR A JOB (since 8/11/09. already 6 days)
- going to brush up my C++/Matlab/math skills, as it seems like those are in high demand in high-frequency trading (which looks hot and almost the only area where I see job openings)
- spent last three years in a credit/distressed hedge fund, working on risk (hedging, credit derivatives) and building models for short signals and relative value signals
- prior to that, three years at a fund of hedge funds, doing risk and portfolio construction
- prior to that, six years as software developer and consultant
- NYU Stern MBA, 2006
- MS in Mathematics, Moscow State University

In my free time, I teach math, play with my 4 years old son and do martial arts.

Cheers!

Hi All

New to the Forum

Interested in a career in Finance

Background
4th and Final year at University of California San Diego
Bioengineering Major
Interned at Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Biosite, and currently Genentech

Nice to meet everyone

Software developer in MFE

Hi everyone,

My name is Frank, I'm about to start my full-time MFE in the UK. I came across quantnet when I was researching my course and found this site to be hugely informative. Thanks to everyone, especially the administrators for the information that helped me making an informed decision.

I'm a software developer (in finance), and I'm actually not looking for a career change. After the MFE I hope to work on algo trading systems and those involving high performance simulation. Solid mathematical and financial theory should help me find a niche in the industry. The dream is to consult or have my own products company, or failing that, work for one :D.

I guess this is not the standard quant career path and all the more reason to seek guidance and wisdom from the community. I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions in the months to come.

cheers

Just join Quantnet and Saying Hi to All

Hi Admin and all friends,

I'm Chai from Malaysia, i just joined Quantnetwork and would like to say hi to all of you.
We are leading a team that working on a startup incubator fund, hope to get to know all of you and there are lots of sharing we can have.

regards,
chai

New Member Introduction

Hey Team!!!

My name is Angel Cuevas. I'm very passionate about mathematics, trading and the markets. I actually did my undergraduate work at SUNY Binghamton in English Literature. I'm currently buffing up my mathematics at City College. My plan is to take up to calculus three at City College, I wil then continue to take non degree math classes at Columbia / NYU.

My goal is to become a FE/Quant Trader. I'm really excited about this community and it's support.

Andy, are there any networking opportunites for member of the site? Meeting up at a local NYC place for some socializing?

-Angel

Hey Angel,
Welcome to Quantnet.
I think we did organize some social events in the past for Quantnet members like a bar nights. That was way back when I was still a student. I'm not doing much bar these days ;)
This may call for some future offline events. If you are interested in meeting up with the Baruch MFE students for their social drinking events, maybe contact Doug or Eugene.

There is a Central Park picnic event coming up in Sept, I believe.

Join in from Shanghai

Hi Quantnetters,

I am Gunnar from Shanghai and curious to learn more about the Quantnet-Community.

Des anybody knows an (english-speaking) quant group in SH?
Andy, do you know anything about social events around this town for Quantnet members as well? This would be really nice...

Best regards
Gunnar

Hello everyone!!!
I am Ping Lin. So nice to meet you here. I'm currently doing my Ph.D program in Physics at SUNY Stony Brook, and I see the light of graduation. As a fresh Physics Ph.D, I face the choice whether to continue academic or change my track. Miserable... It is a hard time and I haven't figure where to start, then I come across Quant.net. A career in Finance sounds so great! I'm really excited about this community. It is so informative and supportive. I believe I will stay in this community all through my job searching. How a nice place!
Nice to meet you everyone.

hi all

It's nice to see so many nice people here. I am in my last year of PHD in discrete mathematics, doing coding theory.

No, my school is not a top one, and yeah, I panic for the job hunting.

I took classes in graph theory, group theory, design theory, combinatorics, coding theory, analysis, etc; and I did a bit C++ programming. Hey I even have a BS in computer science.

And I didn't take any PDE ODE or finance courses. Can I do the quant job?

Thanks!

Chao

Hi~I need your help

hello!Everyone!
My name is Vivian, an undergraduate student, and I am now doing a survey about the financial engineering, so, I have to find someone who is professional in this field...
I have some questions, and if you have time you can add my msn...I wanna doing a small interview...
Your help will be highly appreciated...Thank u so much!

my msn:yufan_shi@hotmail.com

Vivian,

You'd better posting your questions here on Quant Net. If they are not about evaluation of your profile people will be glad to answer.

Hello All

Hello, my name is Landis and I am an undergerad majoring in Economics, Math, and Philosophy...an odd combination I know. I don't know if I want to go work or go on to get a PhD, but am very interested in Financial Engineering and possibly going for a MFE, and want to learn as much as I can about it so I joined this forum.

My only finance background is being part of a student-run $5m stock and covered call portfolio at my school, and am interested in learning more about portfolio optimization and risk management tools we can implement in our strategy.

Thank you all,

Landis

Just found this site.
I'm a C++ developer also with personal interests in number theory, cryptography etc.
I joined this site as I've got very interested in regression analysis, just from personal interest, I know very little about the financial markets but I'm putting together some MRT software for fun and I wanted to know whether there are any sites where I can obtain data sets of past commodity prices, share prices etc. to test the software I've been writing ?
I'm just an amateur doing this for fun, I don't mind paying a (reasonable) fee for the data - I usually develop engines for the games industry but this looks far more fun at the moment.....
Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone!

I am a 2nd year PhD student at Cornell University in engineering with minors in operations research and computer science. I am most particularly interested in computer simulation, game theory, linear programming / heuristics in optimization and stochastic programming.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and I am glad to have stumbled upon this site!

R

Hello all!

I'm a Java developer in fixed income analytics at a major New York investment bank. My job is roughly 2/3 bug fixer, 1/3 financial products analyst. I would like to turn it into 2/3 quant, 1/3 developer. My quantitative strengths are really strong when it comes to finding patterns and logic; as a programmer this helps me write faster algorithms that sometimes other people miss.

I'm really interested in algorithmic trading strategies on fixed income products. I'm still not 100% sure a financial engineering degree is for me; I'm also a little interested in risk management and trying to apply a more quantitative approach to long-term value investing.

Back