• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Hi everybody:
My name is Jie. I am a applicant for Baruch's AMF program for fall 07. I will have completed my BS in applied mathematics in City Tech, CUNY, by June, 2007.

Here is my profile:
GPA = 3.9
GRE = V680+Q800+W4.5
Courses taken: Calculus I II III
Probability and Statistics I II
Linear Algebra
Different Equation
Math Modeling
Discrete Math
Programming Language as C++

Currently I am working on my personal statement. Plus, I am doing an internship in State Farm Insurance.

I really don't know how big my chances are to get into Baruch's AMF program. Can you guys give me some ideas? What else should I do to improve my chances?

Thanks in advance!

jay827 said:
Hi everybody:
My name is Jie. I am a applicant for Baruch's AMF program for fall 07.
I really don't know how big my chances are to get into Baruch's AMF program. Can you guys give me some ideas? What else should I do to improve my chances?
Thanks in advance!
Hi Jie,
Congratulation on your decision to apply to Baruch's MFE program (it is now called MFE. Look at the title on this site). It's a first step in the right direction. Here are the next 2 steps (assuming you haven't done so already)

1) Attend one of the info sessions on either Tuesday October 17, Monday November 13 or Monday December 4
2) Schedule an interview with the director, Prof. Stefanica. If you are lucky enough to have 5 minutes of his busy schedue, he may take you to Quantnet Lab so you can meet current students.

Make sure you take this time to double up on your C++, math and finance knowledge. Did I mention C++ ? All the materials are already posted on this forum.

Goodluck.

jay827 said:

You have a pretty strong profile. The other question is why are you interested in this program? What do you expect form it? The C++ is the most important skill to have before you join to the program. Not because it has more use than finance or math, but rather because it takes long time to master it, and all classes will require you to code something in C++ on weekly basis. Moreover, we have only one C++ class, and professor will expect you to know it well. The other great thing to do while you have some time before next fall is go through the Hull book. It will give you some financial knowledge. And read Derman's book "My life as a Quant" for some inspiration :) Good luck! ;)

Jie your profile looks very strong. Good luck and we look forward to seeing you in our program. Andy is absolutely correct. C++ is mandatory and I'm learning this the hard way having only been introduced to it in January.

Hi Andy, maxrum and RussianMike:

Thanks for all your suggestion.
I have signed up for the info session on Oct.17. (It says that I will receive a confirmation email but I haven't got it so far.)
I just borrowed a Hull's book from Baruch's library on Friday. I've read the first several chapters and I am pretty interested in this kind of things. I also want to try some exercises but I don't have the solution manual.

One question concerning C++:
Even though I've taken three C++ classes in my undergraduate years and got good grades, I am still not sure about my C++ skills. In fact, I have forgot a lot. :smt005 Do you guys have any books to recommend so that I can catch up?

Again, thanks!

jay827 said:
One question concerning C++:
Even though I've taken three C++ classes in my undergraduate years and got good grades, I am still not sure about my C++ skills. In fact, I have forgot a lot. :smt005 Do you guys have any books to recommend so that I can catch up?

If you programmed before it will be easy for you to pick up things quickly. The best book in general about C++ is Lipman's "C++ Primer". If you want take a look on financial applications, get a book by Mark Joshi "C++ Design Pattern and Derivatives Pricing".

Hello everyone

Hi,
My name is Emerson Chang, and I am from Taiwan. I got a MBA degree from National Chaio Tung University in Taiwan. Right now I act as a treasury analyst in Sino Pac Financial Holdings in Taipei, Taiwan. I am applying for Fall 2007 semester admission. And I wish I could be admitted to join this program and take courses with you guys. I hope I can see you all next year.

Best regards,

Emerson Chang

Hi Andy ,Hi All, My name is Niloo and I received my master in math finance from USC(university of southern Cali) ,I live in NY now and happy to join your forum

Welcome aboard Niloo, you will find out this is a really close and warming community.

Come to Baruch one day to have a coffee with us, or may be a cigarette with Bob, Mike, and myself ;)

WoW !!!! you guys are really welcoming :)) I do want to come and chat with you guys and I'll keep in touch :)

nz1234 said:
Hi Andy ,Hi All, My name is Niloo and I received my master in math finance from USC(university of southern Cali) ,I live in NY now and happy to join your forum
Hi Niloofar,
Welcome to the big family. Do you still teach at QC?
maxrum said:
Come to Baruch one day to have a coffee with us, or may be a cigarette with Bob, Mike, and myself ;)
Coffee, yes. Cigarette ? She doesn't smoke anyway.
Max, you told me you would quit smoking before joining the program. What ever happened to that swear under oath? :D
nz1234 said:
WoW !!!! you guys are really welcoming. I do want to come and chat with you guys and I'll keep in touch
I'll see you in next Friday talk. :)

Hi Andy, No I teach at city now! Taught at hunter last semester :D !! How do you know?? Excuse my early Alzheimer!!!! :smt017 And yes see you next Friday at the talk and No I don't smoke :D

Andy said:
Max, you told me you would quit smoking before joining the program. What ever happened to that swear under oath? :D

I did quit for a week ;) Then I started again. My Oath was obeyed :)

I didnt make such oath so I'm happily puffing away :)

Niloo I look forward to meeting you.

--Mike

Hi Every body,
Here is Raja pasupuleti
Working in a Finance Firm in Jersey City in the area of Global Finance.
I am exploring the options of studying MFE Part time.
Is GRE and TOEFL compulsory for for this Part time program.

rajagopalp said:
Hi Every body,
Here is Raja pasupuleti
Working in a Finance Firm in Jersey City in the area of Global Finance.
I am exploring the options of studying MFE Part time.
Is GRE and TOEFL compulsory for for this Part time program.

Hi Raja. Of course you will need to take GRE and get a good score. If you made your undergrad outside USA you will need to take TOEFL as well. You will find more information here http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/math/masters_application.html
Welcome and good luck!

nz1234 said:

Hello,

Could you give a brief description of the USC coverage and emphasis?

I am new to the forum and not a student but a working practitioner. Great site...

Back