• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Hi Vic,

So I gather that you were admitted to Baruch 2007 and decided to study there ? If so, big congratulations and we look forward to meeting you soon.

Last thing:
i have to note that we cant reach "quantnet" in mainland China and i guess maybe this website has been forbidden to browse by China's Government( i dont know why). have any sensitive or offensive words appreared here? Today i get here by using a free Americanproxy server, very unconvenient.

Thanks for info. I have heard a couple of students from China saying they can't connect from mainland. Never thought that quantnet is infamous enough for the Chinese gorvernment to put quantnet on their ban list. That sounds really weird to me since we are apolitical, educational forum.

Will take a look and see if we can figure out a way around this. I probably will email you and other Chinese students to see if the alternative works. In the meantime, proxy is your only choice. Sorry for the inconvinience.

Another member

Hi everybody,

I'm only a trader at a proprietary group.

I learned of the board from FENews. I read the sight looking for topics to study during work. I would say half the day I spend trying to learn new stuff.

I have a strictly finance background in undergrad and I'm fairly sucessful trading.

ck

Welcome to Quantnet, CK

So what market do you trade in ? As students, we always love to hear from the practitioners.

It's always great to get the people who reads our forum everyday to join and become an active member of our community. It's even better to have someone who can contributes with real-life experience such as yourself.

hello everyone. I am Ankeet K. Dedhia. I have applid for MFE for the term starting fall 2007. I hope i can be a member here without being accepted yet at baruch.

i have done my bachelors in computer engineering from mumbai university and have average academics. i have a gre score of 1420 (quant 800 , verbal 620) awa: 4.0 and my toefl score stand at 297/300. i have worked for one yr at a broking firm in indi for one year as a "dealer in capital markets" . hope i get into the baruch mfe program.

hello everyone. I am Ankeet K. Dedhia. I have applid for MFE for the term starting fall 2007. I hope i can be a member here without being accepted yet at baruch.

Of course, we welcome people from all walk of life. :) We have 420+ members and only 10% of them are current students in the program.
Goodluck with your application at Baruch. Feel free to ask any question you may have.

Hi, new member. Current MFE student at Stevens Institute of Technology.
As my school is not reputable in the FE field, I just wanted to know how bad are my chances of getting a job in an investment back after graduation.
Realistically-speaking, I am not even thinking of an entry-level quant job, any fixed income job would be a good starting point for me.

Looking forward to hearing some advice.

Thanks in advance. =)

Hey,

I'm currently an Undergrad Math Major on the Actuarial track. What's the main difference between an Investment/ Corporate Actuary and a Financial Engineer? Both price securities, hedge risk, and program.

A financial engineer uses a broader array of math skills for example stochastic calculus and differential equations in addition to just statistics. That is just one of the difference.

Hi, new member. Current MFE student at Stevens Institute of Technology.
As my school is not reputable in the FE field, I just wanted to know how bad are my chances of getting a job in an investment back after graduation.
Realistically-speaking, I am not even thinking of an entry-level quant job, any fixed income job would be a good starting point for me.

Hi there,
I saw SIT advertisements from time to time since I live in NYC. I also know they have MFE program and it's kinda new. Besides that, I don't know how the program is structured, courses, etc...

When do you graduate ? Where do you want to work ?

I have more questions than answers, unfortunately.

Hi there,
I saw SIT advertisements from time to time since I live in NYC. I also know they have MFE program and it's kinda new. Besides that, I don't know how the program is structured, courses, etc...

When do you graduate ? Where do you want to work ?

I have more questions than answers, unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply.

Stevens MFE program consists of 2 tracks. Quantitative and Technology(programming)
I chose the Quantitative track just because I was always more interested in learning about math than about programming. (Hope, it's not to my detriment)
Both tracks have the same core requirements. The Quantitative track requires fulfilment of additional requirements in Advanced Calculus and PDE.
Core requirements are
1) (Pricing and Hedging of Financial Derivatives
2) Stochastic Calculus
3) Computational Methods in Finance
4) Financial Optimization and Portfolio Theory
5) Advanced Derivatives
6) C++ Programming
2 electives (I plan to take Numerical methods in PDE and some other analysis-oriented math class maybe Advanced Calc 2 or Optimization Theory)

As compared to the top programs in the nation, the classes are nowhere as applied or attuned to the latest needs of industry. The math classes are more for developing mathematical maturity and are more theoretical. For instance, in my PDE class, I didn't learn how it is applied in finance.
I guess one of the redeeming points about the program at Stevens is that perhaps it is a good preparation for entry into a financial math PhD program where the rigorous math would come in useful but not as agood a preparation for practitioners.

I am graduating in May 2008 and I plan to work in the fixed income area of investment banks in Research or Structuring. I also know there are financial risk management positions in a few of these banks as well and I am also interested in those.

I have no working experience in the finance/investment banking area. All my internships and entry-level work experiences were in the actuarial profession.

Hope these answer your questions.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Probably you can take a look at these sites. They have lot of job listings for all positions. Search for something junior

http://www.quantfinancejobs.com/
http://www.quantster.com/
http://jobs.efinancialcareers.com/Quantitative_Analytics.htm

After you see what you are interested in, you can get an idea of what skills they ask and prepare accordingly. I learn a hard lession that knowing what you want/love to do is really tricky without doing it.

By the way, what kind of projects they do in C++ and PDE courses ? (I assume you haven't taken them yet.)
Which ones you have taken and what projects you did in those courses ?

Probably you can take a look at these sites. They have lot of job listings for all positions. Search for something junior

http://www.quantfinancejobs.com/
http://www.quantster.com/
http://jobs.efinancialcareers.com/Quantitative_Analytics.htm

After you see what you are interested in, you can get an idea of what skills they ask and prepare accordingly. I learn a hard lession that knowing what you want/love to do is really tricky without doing it.

By the way, what kind of projects they do in C++ and PDE courses ? (I assume you haven't taken them yet.)
Which ones you have taken and what projects you did in those courses ?

There will be significant C++ exposure in Computational Methods in Finance.
As for PDE class, it was just a typical math class.
Numerical Methods in PDE will involve programming.

Thanks for the links.
Appreciate it.

thank a lot andy for welcoming me. u know i am kind of falling in love with the warmth that everyone at baruch is showing. First it is you guys welcoming me so well. then the program director himself is so helpful. I had a major issue with my application process which was left unnoticed for 2and half months. It was neither my fault nor was it university's fault. I had just PMed the program director Prof. Dan on global-derivatives. And i got a reply within 12 hours(maybe even less) . He offered to help me too. Have rarely seen a program director himself looking into issues of prospective students. I really look forward to the day i probably get an admit frm baruch so that i can be a part of this very warm family too.

Hi Ankeet,

Thanks for the very kind words. I like to think of our program more than just an academic program where people come/learn/leave. It's more like a family where people learn the knowledge, build a long lasting friendship, relationship with all other Baruch MFE family members, and contribute to the welfare of the program long after they graduate.

I'm not that surprised either to hear that Prof. Stefanica went out of his way to help you. Time permitting, he will help as much as he can. Everyone in our program has equal access, attention and support from him.

You find out more yourself when you get admitted into our program.
Best of luck and hope to hear good news from you.

hey andy. can i have Dr. Dan Stefanica's Contact no. I have an application issue which i dont think can be solved via mail.

hey andy. can i have Dr. Dan Stefanica's Contact no. I have an application issue which i dont think can be solved via mail.
I never know his office number. Never needed to since I just walk right in whenever I have a question. What you should do is call the admision office (646) 312-4493 and/or email his assistant Ms. Nelisa at nelisar@gmail.com

They are pretty efficient and would be able to help you with anything.

Welcome to Quantnet, CK

So what market do you trade in ? As students, we always love to hear from the practicioners.

It's always great to get the people who reads our forum everyday to join and become an active member of our community. It's even better to have someone who can contributes with real-life experience such as yourself.

We trade futures popular here at the CBOT and CME.

Speed is always an issue. We have a great team of "computer practicioners" always working harder than the traders, trying to make us better.

80% of our work is software issues, the rest trading ideas, statistics, and adjusting to current market conditions.

I'm going to start reading the board to find something to get into.

Great board!

got a reject frm baruch . going by last yr's stats i thought i would get in. but this yr baruch has beeen very selective i think.

Back