• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

All right, I will just simplify my post to say hi here :)

Just like everybody here, I am interested in moving into the quantitative finance. I have a good background in software engineering, and I enjoy math and stock investments.

In the next few years I will be preparing myself for this career change through education and self-learning. I am glad that I find this site and I want to say thank you to Andy and others for these helpful posts.

hi

hi, new myself. I only hear GRE. nothing about GMAT. Math 48 in GMAT. also 13 years in IT. financial exp only 2 though.

let me introduce myself...

Hi. My name is Akino. I am completing my BBA in Baruch and going to MFE from this fall. I will take the refresher courses during the summer, so hope to see some of you in the classes!!

Another New Guy

Hello, all.

Count me in for the incoming MFE class. My name is Adam Bloom. I'm currently working as an application developer at JPMorgan and looking forward to starting the refresher courses next week. Speaking of which, does anyone know what textbooks we're going to need for the summer classes?

financial engineering is my passion...

Hi everyone. I am harpreet, currently an undergrduate in engineering at IIT, Roorkee, India. I am very ambitious about financial engineering. I am looking forward to apply for this program next year, most probably. My 3rd year of engineering will be starting from coming July 25th. Presently I am doing internship in Taiwan where I am learning about stochastic analysis and reliability analysis. I have been browsing global-derivatives.com for quite some time but didnt find it that user friendly for people who are new to finance and who are looking forward to gain some insight into this competitive program. But this forum seems to very inspiring and interesting. Hope people here are tolerant to some nascent financial engineering queries and are active in answering those queries. Happy learning :) .

Many Thanks,
Harpreet Singh.

Welcome to QN, Harpreet. You will find lot of support here for anything you need on your quest for knowledge.
hsingh.iitr;10044 said:
I have been browsing global-derivatives.com for quite some time but didnt find it that user friendly for people who are new to finance and who are looking forward to gain some insight into this competitive program. But this forum seems to very inspiring and interesting.
Couldn't agree more :thumbsup:
hsingh.iitr;10044 said:
Hope people here are tolerant to some nascent financial engineering queries and are active in answering those queries.
You can bet on it. At least you can count on me being active here ;)

hi, everybody,

i'm youjiubuzui. it's exciting to find a wonderful forum with such a friendly atmosphere. here is a little bit about myself: i just finished graduate study in applied math and statistics in johns hopkins. right now i'm actively looking for a job in financial service industry. the area where i like to do in my job is the research about derivatives. i 'm just so amazed by the black-scholes pde and interested in the vast variety of financial products. i'm equipped with some math and stat skills and elementary financial knowledge. hope to learn a lot from the forum. people here is talking about the delicate difference of disciplines. Does the difference lead to different job direction? maybe i'm just lack of knowledge for the financial jobs.

Hi everyone,
It's been a while since I posted. Unfortunately, I couldn't apply to Baruch MFE this year due to my job's demands. I'm looking forward to joining everyone in 2008. ;)

Hey ppl , new joinee..

Hey everyone
I am new to this forum . Just like how many have already mentioned-- Its a really active forum with lot's of friendly people around .. Just to introduce myself --
B.Tech ( bachelor's in technology) from IIT Roorkee, India in mechanical Engineering with C.G.P.A of 3.2. Did a summer internship in UC Berekley in mechatronics lab on modeling of flexible robotic arms and study of stiff differential equations. Currently i am working in GE, John F Wech tehnology center, bangalore, India. I am working as an engineer in the combustion team , doing the flow analysis and finite element modeling .

I am really interested in Financial Engineering and have already started with CFA level 1 exam preparation ..

one crucial question

hey evryone

There is one imp thing that i needed to ask . We always talk about what is offered in different institutions and which one is better. But being new to this field wanted to know that what exactly we do after these degrees . I mean i know that its a vague question but i have seen lot of guys saying that they want to be quant researcher .. So what are the other options available after these courses .. Like Sales is there or some other ..

2) I noticed Andy saying that C++ is very important , so is it some sort of basic language that all finance guys use after getting jobs??

3) We always talk about experience , so do you think that non relevant experience like mine( Engineer at GE , India) , could help me in future. I am currently just banking upon the GE's brand name -- what do you guys think about it?

Welcome to QN, brij17goel. And welcome back, Michelle ;)
2) I noticed Andy saying that C++ is very important , so is it some sort of basic language that all finance guys use after getting jobs??
3) We always talk about experience , so do you think that non relevant experience like mine( Engineer at GE , India) , could help me in future. I am currently just banking upon the GE's brand name -- what do you guys think about it?
1) C++ is the main language used for quant development. Depends on the job, some may use more vba/excel/matlab, but serious computation, modeling is mostly done with C++
2) Many people are without finance experience and they do fine. Don't worry.

Hi, My name is Yan, a rising senior from a liber art college. I am a math major and business minor. I am very interested in the program but I have some questions that I hope somebody can give me some suggestions. I know a lot of students in this program have already had many work experience, so I am wondering if it is a good idea for me to apply to this program in my senior year without having any real work experience? Should I find a job and gain some experience before I apply? I am very intersted in finance and I really like this program, and seeing a lot of friendly people here really makes this program more attractive to me.

Hello everyone!
This forum is really awesome. There is an aura of friendliness radiating all over this place, as opposed to the cold indifference to newbies, at other related forums.
I happened to stumble upon Baruch MFE by accident, while researching about MFE programmes. Staying outside the US, I was initially put off by the name of this school, as I was more familiar with the likes of CMU or NYU. But after going through the school's webpage and forums, I realized that the program and its placements are as good as those of its over-hyped peers. The best feature about this school which appeals to me is its close-knit student community and alumnus.
I am Srikanth from Chennai, India. I did my undergrad in Electrical&Electronics Engineering at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore and graduated in 2005 with distinction. After that, I joined Borland Software Corp., Singapore, where I work till date. I have decent experience in programming with C++, Java, Matlab, SQL. Quant skills are good but I have not done any formal courses in finance.
I am thinking of applying for the Fall 2008 intake. My profile seems to be weak on the "relevant experience/finance knowledge" side, though I can justify a change in career as the motivation behind applying for this course. Any pointers?

I like cars and want to work on an exchange.

Nice effort put into the website, congratulations. Still, it feels a bit foreign to non-Baruch students. Hopefully as new members come in, the interaction will create a more balanced environment.

Hi everyone.
Welcome to QN.
If you have a specific question pertaining to your individual situation, feel free to create a new thread under the one of our forums. That way, you will have more attentions to your questions.

Where can you find the kind of cars that Juan drove ? Those F1 cars are like 1M+ each ;)
Nice effort put into the website, congratulations. Still, it feels a bit foreign to non-Baruch students. Hopefully as new members come in, the interaction will create a more balanced environment.
Agree. And having people outside of Baruch MFE program coming here is a great first step toward that goal \\:D/

Juan, welcome to QuantNetwork! The forum is growing and your thoughts on the various topics dicuessed here will be appreciated by everyone.

-dan

Hello Again

Hi folks, I hope you'll forgive me for responding to questions a whole page back. ;-)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, and Andy thanks for putting together such a useful site here.

To answer the question as to why I want to do the CQF programme as opposed to the MFE program, frankly I would *love* to do both.

I can not do the MFE right now since I would love to do Baruch, but do not have all that cash saved up. I also would like to get my foot in the door much sooner than 2 years considering I'm starting to get some grey hairs. Mostly this sense of urgency comes from the fact that I am transitioning from technology to finance and I want to be as aggressive as possible.

The CQF programme is about $16k and is only 6 months. It seems to have much higher credibility in the UK, but I've seen a few postings in NYC and talked to quite a few recruiters who seem to think highly of it.

For me the ideal Quant candidate should have a Ph.D in fluid dynamics, an MFE and a CQF and be under 30. Unfortunately that is not me, but I hope to get there through hard work and charm. Well, maybe just hard work. ;)

prospective Fall 2008 MFE student

Hello QuantNet Community,

My name is Syed Afzal Hyat and I'm a rising senior at Boston University. I recently learned about the field of financial engineering and have since become very interested in it. I'm lucky that I found Quantnet, what an amazing resource you've set up here! I have a more specific question about the pre-requisites of the program but I'll save that for the questions forum. Go there and check it out, hopefully someone's got the answer.

Back