• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Hi,

I am a computer scientist and about to get a PhD in CS. I want to pursue a career in quant and thats why I am here. I want some help to bootstrap myself.

What is the first book you would recommend to me. I have decent knowledge about Probability theory but nothing about stochastic processes, finances. I know good C++ programming.

Please give some pointers to the right books which a newbie like me can pick up.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Darshan,
Welcome to Quantnet community where Quants meet Quants ;)

Here is a master list of books that are useful for quants Master list of useful Quantitative Finance books - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

Start with My life as a Quant by Derman book and then work toward the bottom of the list.

Will this book give me a an intro into finance and the stuff needed to get into quant ? I was on Mark Joshi's Home Page and he has recommended some other books. But, I am a complete newbiew....I know I can pick it up fast but I need the right resources. I don't even know 'F' of finance. Please guide me.

Will this book give me a an intro into finance and the stuff needed to get into quant ? I was on Mark Joshi's Home Page and he has recommended some other books. But, I am a complete newbiew....I know I can pick it up fast but I need the right resources. I don't even know 'F' of finance. Please guide me.
Hi.
If you need some basic concept, I think,you can start from "Investment" by Z.Bodie.
Then some knowledge about statistics and quantative method, I think.
Hope this help:)

Hi there Amy,
Welcome to Quantnet. Tell us a bit about your work. What do you do at work ?
Hi, Andy:
We are a Hege fund, my job is mainly to construct potofolio by building some modles. Normally I use computer program and some numerical method to find the arbitrage oppotunity. I am really lack of experience and the good sence of the market., but we have the specific experienced stuff, who can give me some idea, then I need to implement it quantitatively.
:)

Hello Everyone!

I'm quite new to the quant community as my MS degree is in Physical Therapy and I am currently a self-employed health care provider of out-patient Physical Therapy services specializing in orthopedic manual therapy. My long story short is that I don't have a passion for the healthcare field any longer and I need to make a change. I am quite passionate about the financial markets and am primarily self-educated with respect to econ, finance, trading, etc. I am going to enroll at a local community college for the Fall '07 semester in order to make sure I have the prerequisite requirements for the MFE program satisfied (i.e., Calculus, LA). I intend to apply for admission to the '08 class. As this is quite a shift from my current career, I welcome any helpful tips the community might have. I also hope to be able to contribute in a constructive manner.

Regards to all,

Chris Pandolfi

Hi Chris,
While I think health care will be in dire need long into the future, I'm impressed by your decision to make a career change. We are here to help.
You have a couple of months to prepare so I hope you get everything planned out. Take the courses and do well, then take GRE, write personal statements, get letter of recommendation, etc...you will have your hand full.

Are you taking courses at Suffolk CC ?

Yes, actually I was planning on registering at Suffolk. Are you familiar with it?

Yes, actually I was planning on registering at Suffolk. Are you familiar with it?

My advice would be to take as many math courses as possible, not just those that are required (for example, Differential Equations, Probability, Statistics).

This is the plan:

1) Calc I and Calc II in the fall and spring respectively
2) I have the stats requirement from previous coursework
3) Linear Algebra I'm hoping I will be able to take as part of the refresher course
4) C++ to be taken spring semester

Additionally, I will be taking the CFA Level 1 exam prior to admission to the program and will have finished the Market Technician Association's Chartered Market Technician (CMT) program by November, 2007.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ,

Chris

Regarding 3) Linear Algebra I'm hoping I will be able to take as part of the refresher course

I need to clarify that the refresher courses are only available to students admitted to the program. And those students supposedly have met the requirements.

I think what Yuriy said makes sense. A lot of students took the required courses undergrad so by taking a few of them now, you are on the lesser qualified of the pool. And I don't think taking CFA level 1 or CMT would benefit more than meeting the requirements. After you meet all the requirements, then having CFA or other certificates would help.

C++ would need 2 semesters in my opinion.

Definitely you should come to the open house as early as possible. Join the Online Admission Chat when it is announced.

First, read the FAQ at Baruch FAQ - Quantnet Wiki

Thank you for your insight. Perhaps I need to amend my spring courses to include LA. I don't see how I'd be lesser qualified if I take the math prerequisites now as opposed to having had taken them when I was in undergrad. As long as the admission requirements are met, the age at which one took the coursework should be irrelevant. Would you mind elaborating on that point? Also, the CMT and CFA Level 1 simply add depth to the application without any effect on the need to meet the admission requirements.

Thank you for bringing the Online Admission Chat and the Open House to my attention. I will look forward to participating in both.

I don't see how I'd be lesser qualified if I take the math prerequisites now as opposed to having had taken them when I was in undergrad. As long as the admission requirements are met, the age at which one took the coursework should be irrelevant. Would you mind elaborating on that point?
My point was that with your original plan of not taking LA, you will have less chance than those who do. And you are correct when saying that as long as you meet the requirements, it should be irrelevant of when one took the courses.
It can be said that the more recent, the better. I would suggest that you take more than the requirements. Take some calculus-based probability, ODE, PDE. And if you can squeeze time in to take the CFA and CMT, more power to you.

And don't forget about the GRE. Aim for 800 on the Quant part.
Best of luck.

Hi Andy

Hi Andy, et al

Just wanted to say hello - fine job you have done welcoming prospective students.

I'll mostlikely apply within the next year or so after I wrap up short-term career goals. Between now and then I'll be a regular here.

I'm planning to apply to four schools:

Princeton
NYU
ETH-Zurich
Baruch

How much emphasis do you guys place on professional vs academic recommendations?

Thanks

I agree with Andy about Linear Algebra. I don't think it is possible to learn the material in the refresher courses if you have never seen any of that stuff before. I am assuming they are called "refresher" courses because they are designed to refresh what we have learned in the past at one time or another or fill in the gaps in existing knowledge.

I did not know Princeton has a similar program :) I thought they had a track or something like that related to FE.

I did not know Princeton has a similar program :) I thought they had a track or something like that related to FE.

Actually, good point. Princeton is ORFE. Baruch is FE. Definately have to read the fine print.

Thanks

hello...

hi all .. i am just starting my FE... and hope to become a quant soon .. i am en electrical engg from india ... a big hi to quant community..

Back