• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Hi Kallol,
Glad to see that you finally out of the dark side and officially join us ;)
While it's nice to hear that the info you find on Quantnet has been useful to you, I can't think of anything specific I posted that you (and potentially others) found "more than useful in pulling me out of sticky situations in the past."
If you can elaborate, maybe we can focus more of our effort in that area.
Nonetheless, welcome to Quantnet and hope to see your contribution to our community.

Hi

Hi all,
My name is Vadim, from Italy. I'm a quant amateur. Hence, I would appreciate your expertize and help.

Hello. I'm a new quantnet.com member. I am an engineer and I may pursue a Phd in engineering next year. I haven't got to the point where I feel like I am going to do quantitative analyses for a living. At this point in time, I am mainly interested in the mathematics and computational methods in finance. I previously worked in numerical methods so I am leveraging on my background to learn a thing or two about finance.

Intro

Hello all,

I just came across this forum, and it looks great! I did my undergrad in Electrical Engineering and am pursuing an MBA from NYU. I am a high-level manager in IT (infrastructure), but have lost interest in the field and need a change. Quant has fascinated me for a long time, so it's time to brush up on differential equations, probability, linear algebra and C++

Hi Andy,

Sorry, couldn't reply earlier as I as I am logging in after a while. Well, from the top of my head, I recently came across the set of documents and links that you posted with regards to the JPMorgan CDS valuation model CDSW. That was quite helpful as I was trying to put together a quick and dirty spreadsheet that provided a bare-bone no frills CDS pricing and MTM.

Hello all, this is my first post despite having signed up quite a while ago.

I'm in Sydney and I've graduated with a double degree in Actuarial Studies and Mathematics at the end of 2007. Not having found an actuarial job since graduating, I'm looking to further my studies with a Master of Quantitative Finance at UTS, starting in a couple of weeks.

I've read some interesting posts and I have some questions of my own. I hope you can enlighten me and others such as myself with much needed wisdom and experience.

Regards,
Roger

Hi everyone,

My name is Serge Aleynikov, ex-Goldman Sachs quant. If I'm not around in a few weeks its because I've been jailed for allegedly stealing some code from my former employer...

Na, my name is really Tony, from middle America but live in NYC, worked at a quant in the past at BB bank. Moved to banking...and now out of finance. But like to participate and maybe give back.

Thanks guys

Hi everyone,

I am Hemanand Shetty. I work as developer for Equities and prop IT at Credit-Suisse.
I am interested in pursuing MFE. Will be starting off with Seminar in Advanced Calculus for FE at Baruch next week.

regards,
Hemanand

Hello everyone,

My name is Ronnie Funderburk Jr. I've been lurking here for a while. I'm a former automotive technician. I've decided to go back to school for a complete career change (guess what field ;)). I'll be starting in on my BS in Computer Science/Mathematics this fall.

BTW: The information on this site has been priceless for me.

Hello, my name is Paul and I am from the Chicagoland area. I am currently in the job market as my company seems set to self-destruct. I have no financial background, but very sound enterprise and application architecture project management and team lead experience. I can't help but notice that every job posting is C++ and finance/trading. Given that I did a few searches and stumbled across this site. As a problem slover I am always intrigued when a company says well you don't have any experience in pharmaceuticals, to which I respond that you're not asking me to mix chemicals and run clinical tials, you want me to tie your acounting system to your CRM and inventory system. However, I do belive this AT does require specific understanding. At age 40, is it worth the time to try to break into this arena or should I just stay with teh more traditional IT jobs? Thanks I and have enjoyed all that I have read so far.

A big welcome to everyone who joined recently and took the time to post in this thread to introduce themselves. I hope this will be the first of your many Quantnet posts.

@Chicago Paul,
We ought to find more representative from Chicagoland.
As for your question, I believe moving into quantitative developer role would be a best path for you. It's hard to reinvent yourself at this age and time. I'm sure you have other priorities in life at this time and starting a new career path isn't the best way to go.

Hi. My name is Akbar and I am associated with State Bank of Pakistan (central bank) in the area of banking surveillance and stress testing.

Hi to everyone,
my name is Andrea, I am getting started my carrer in quantitative finance with an MSc in UK. I hope to receive some suggestions about which MSc to choose.
By the way, I have read you for some times, I really like this forum!

sandhiya

Hi iam sandhiya ,iam doing my final year MCA and iam very proud to be here ,iam very week in Q.A please any one help me how to improve its palys vital role in my career

Hey

Hello Everybody,

I work in a product Control environment in the London branch of a German Landesbank. My background is as a chartered accountant and implementing Basel II in various banks. I have an Msc in Finance majoring in derivatives. But there are lots of gaps in my knowledge and it would be good to talk to you guys about what maybe dumb questions

Thanks

Dan

Hi everyone!
This is Jarod Yao, a second year Ph.D candidate from the Communications Research group, University of Southampton, UK. My research involves the applications of several optimization algorithms in the field of wireless communications (say, numerical methods, particle swarm optimization, genetic algorithm, MCMC).

Since I am interested in working in the area of quantitative finance after my graduation, I join this forum, and want to get to know you (I know the most of you are really nice to new face :p).

I guess my experience in my Ph.D research could be helpful in my future job hunt. What do you guys think about this? Andy, any suggestion or advice please?

Best wishes to you all
Jarod

Hi Jarod,
Welcome to Quantnet.
According to some recruiter (namely Dominic), your PhD may be a liability or a must to different employers. Fact is you don't know who you'll face so my suggestion would be not to rely entirely on your PhD and start packing up on useful stuff outside of your specialization such as programming, math, finance.
You can start off from this Master reading list for Quants, MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
My guess is that your PhD thesis would be somewhat useful to some people but if you can somehow utilize it to the finance world, that would be good.

Feel free to browse around and ask question if anything comes up.

hi everyone
i am Neha. i have done my masters in computers and am doing to begin perusing my master in FE. i know nothing about finance and am really very scared.

Hi Quant:

I’m Mickey, graduated in Computer Engineering, worked as stock broker from Thailand and moved to Chicago for few years. I should be done my Master degree in Accounting by the end of this year. I love trading and finance since I was 20 (Now 27). My dream is to become Hedge Fund Manager but it seems so far away since I found you guy and realized that what I want to do is to work in the Quant Field.

I don’t know how many of you guys are international student as me or maybe not at all? I went to study MSA instead of Finance or Math because I hope to get the job after I am done school. When my status is ok (H1visa), I would continue my study to move forward to Quant field.

Andy or anyone else? Can I ask you from here ( I knew I should ask in the education topic but I want to get the feedback from newbie too) I have 3 options in my mind if I can get the job permit here, I will continue study as the part time basic. Which one should be the best way to go to Quant?

1) Continue part time at MSFM in 2011-2012 (U of Chicago) (3 years program)
2) Continue right away in MS Applied Math (2 yr) at my same college (not well known at all) while waiting to apply PhD Finance at IIT (5 yrs) because they offer the part time
3) Continue MS applied Math (try to make it 1.5 yr), continue MSFM (try to make it 2 yr) and continue PhD Finance at IIT. <<<< This plan is crazy but possible.

PS. If I got the job in TAX (possible) or Accounting, it won’t help me that much for Quant. When I am done those schools without Quant Experience. Will the company look at me like Idiot or entry level? (I may be 35 yrs by that time)

Thank you so much for you guys. I will be a good member of this society. (Sorry again if I should put in education)

Back