• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

No Programming Experience

Hi,

I am attending the Financial Engineering and Risk Analytics program at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute for Fall 2010. I do not have any programming experience what so ever. I come from a mechanical engineering background. I have C++, VBA and R programming languages in my curriculum. So with C++, where do I start from? Should I start right from C programming language or directly start off with C++?

C, then C++ or directly C++? Kindly suggest good books for beginners. I know that there is a master reading list, but I believe the books in it are for some one who has already got a bit of knowledge on things.

Thank you iddqd, elloit and Andy for your responses. I would start with C++ directly. I would have a look at the books suggested by you both and choose one which I am most comfortable with. Thank you again.

I started with C++ (knew some Pascal/C though)
I'm using
Absolute C++
C++ How to program
Robert Lafore - Object Oriented Programming in C++

I like Absolute C++ most, though all of them are useful for me.
you can find the pdfs of them online. let me know if you can't find them and I'll upload them for u...

I started with C++ (knew some Pascal/C though)
I'm using
Absolute C++
C++ How to program
Robert Lafore - Object Oriented Programming in C++

I like Absolute C++ most, though all of them are useful for me.
you can find the pdfs of them online. let me know if you can't find them and I'll upload them for u...

Umm. Not a good idea to upload ebooks.

C++ How to program is great for beginners.

I'll admit that C was my first programming language but I don't really see the value in it if you want to learn C++. It's a different kind of thinking.

If this were the case, then I don't see any problem understanding C++ without any prior programming experience whatsoever.

I'll admit that C was my first programming language but I don't really see the value in it if you want to learn C++. It's a different kind of thinking.

C++ used to be called C with classes.

C supports modular programming while C++ supports modular, OO and template programming.

C is the mother of all OO languages, including Java, C#.

C++ progammers who have not learned essential C properly tend to be a bit shaky in critical issues such as memory.<!-- / message -->

C++ used to be called C with classes.

C supports modular programming while C++ supports modular, OO and template programming.

C++ progammers who have not learned essential C properly tend to be a bit shaky in critical issues such as memory.<!-- / message -->

Sir,
Does this mean that it is in my self-interest itself to give a read to a book on C Programming? However, thank you for your post.

This is not totally correct but we can say that C is the root of all the most popular OO languages.

I will second this. You will be much better C++ programmer if you learn the quirks of C memory management.

Ok. I have thought a lot about this. I am planning to start off with C programming and then I move on to C++. Reading all the posts by the programmers and the other practitioners out here I believe that C would actually be a base for any programming language, only that syntax would be different for the latter and also the OO concept would be added to the latter.

As I have 3-4 months before I start my Financial Engineering and Risk Analytics program at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute I feel that C, and then C++ is a better option, after reading all the comments.

My recommendation, read both Bruce Eckel books (Thinking in C++ Vol I and II) cover to cover, code all the examples there and you will be ready to go.

Learning about C is very nice but you won't have enough time.

Thank you alain. I saw the two volumes of these books today at a bookstore, thought they were too heavy. :D However, I came back home and read very good reviews on these books everywhere on the internet. I guess this book sure is good.

Back