• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU Math in Finance vs Columbia MFE

Hi there, this year I've heard more than three times that MFE@Columbia has cut down its targeted class size to 80. How did you get this info?
Besides, I've heard another explanation that every year they set their targeted size to 80 but it eventually became a class of 120 students. Is this true?

Could you please give me a rough number of the students who have found their internships but still display their resume on the official website?
Stuck with the problem now.
2 or 3 maybe? Most people have not updated their Linkedin pages yet. Once you done some research on Linkedin, you won't feel surprised that a few students are still looking for internship. Those students have very limited knowledge and experience about quantitative finance before NYU courant. So I believe it is still a very good program. It seems that students with some relevant experience before are able to secure an internship position during the first semester.

From where did you hear that their target class size is 80?
From the student ambassador and some current students. It seems that the admission committee has told them the class size for 2019 fall will be 80.

2 or 3 maybe? Most people have not updated their Linkedin pages yet. Once you done some research on Linkedin, you won't feel surprised that a few students are still looking for internship. Those students have very limited knowledge and experience about quantitative finance before NYU courant. So I believe it is still a very good program. It seems that students with some relevant experience before are able to secure an internship position during the first semester.
Thank you for your share!
Also, I concurred with your opinion that students' experiences and skills are the decisive factor of whether or not they can find internships. Courant shouldn't take the fall for that. However, program's obsession with students' scores on mathematical courses is another story, cos that is why those unemployed students were picked to the program in the first place.

From the student ambassador and some current students. It seems that the admission committee has told them the class size for 2019 fall will be 80.
Hi, Even I was communicated this info from a current student studying in MFE program.

a kid from a decent undergrad with a good GPA and decent dataset-wrangling experience can do the job
as someone who fits this profile and works at a smaller asset manager now (life is good) after moving from a big name buy-side firm, i’m going to have an unpopular opinion here and say ask yourself if:
offers from the large sell-side firms and a couple big-name buy-side firms before Christmas. The quantity of these positions is not that large (probably <100 positions spread across the banks, hedge funds, prop trading firms, other asset managers targeting financial engineering students)

is what you really want (personally, i kind of doubt it at this point), grass always greener on the other side. they will expect a lot from you and despite the high comp, the ratio of your comp vs what you generate for the firm will be very low. you will be worked to the bone, and even if it’s 8-9 hours a day at the ones that care about balance, you will still be mentally exhausted from being at 90+% capacity the whole day. and if you’re not good, you will be gone in 3-6 months, i've seen it happen. doesnt matter how good you are at interviewing.

the putnam winners, ivy league prestige grads, hotshot phds, top percentile of mfe, etc. who line the halls of citadel, DE shaw (cannot think of a more fitting example of everything below...), GS, etc. are balls of anxiety and despite the incredible level of specialized ability, lack the critical thinking to, say, realize that the played-up high level math that people on the outside think quants constantly utilize can be just used for political reasons such as luring investors. see: dilbert comics, ironically written by an MBA...

i think @bigbadwolf can back me up on this

Last edited:
Back