• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online Quantitative Degrees

Hello all,

A bit about me: completed a quantitative degree at a world top 30 uni (in my major) and was probably in the top 15-20% or so of my degree grades wise (even accounting for my first year which I badly stuffed around in). I just recently accepted a role at a mid tier company doing consulting/advisory (somewhat quantitative role such as data analytics, risk management).

Are there any online quantitative degrees I can pursue while working full time? Due to financial circumstances, I don't think it'd be ideal for me to forgo a salary for 1-2 years (particularly to travel internationally and pay a lot of money to rent near a good university with good industry connection). Given this, I think an online program from a reputable university would suit me well.

Currently, I have only been able to find the following two:
Columbia (CVN) - Operations Research: Methods in Finance
Imperial College London - Machine Learning and Data Science

I understand that the two programs are very different, after a year or so of working I will likely decide which route I'd prefer to take.

Is anyone else very aware of programs offered by high ranking universities? I understand that rankings are not everything, however given I am not in the US or UK I would like to do it at a university with an international brand name and high academic standards + entry requirements.

My alternative is completing a local program in FE/Data Science/Stats however they would take up to 4 years and as such would likely make it difficult for me to move around between positions in the meantime.

I would like to find myself in a role similar to my own now in a big investment bank or consulting firm. I don't have a big interest in things such as trading, I would rather a decently quantitative role with interpersonal & client relationships.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this?

Also:
Is it even relevant to complete a masters degree in such an area to not aim for hard core trading/quant/data science?
Would 2-3 years experience be considered a negative if I am applying to Graduate roles towards the end of the online degree?

Although it represents only a portion of its M.Fin, MIT has finally released some details about its MicroMasters available on line through edX.

Columbia and Stanford have online programs in statistics and CS. University of Washington mfe is online. They have an applied math masters online as well. Berkeley has online data science. Gtech has online CS.

How hard is to get in those online masters?

Berkeley - data science?
Columbia
Georgia Tech

Does anyone have any insights?

Back