• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

PhD in Pure Maths

Hi,

I got a PhD in Pure Math in France, specifically in Geometry. But I no longer have the same enthusiasm for fundamental research, while my interest in Financial matters and Quantitative analysis has raised.

I wanted to ask you a simple question : do you think my "profile" could allow me to apply for a quant job, without any other qualifications, or do I absolutely need to get a formation before ?

Moreover, I know my work in math has an application in the expected utility theory, but I do not know if this is relevant for quants work.

I am sorry if these are naïve questions, but I have read a lot on the internet, and I must admit I am a bit lost !

Thanks in advance,
Olivier

A guy I worked with at my last job--he was a senior quant and brilliant--had his PhD in mathematics with an emphasis on algebraic geometry, whatever the heck that is. He said it wasn't relevant to his financial work but the research and analysis skills he gained in his doctoral program enabled him to pick up the financial maths very easily. I don't know if that helps or not. Most places would expect you have to at least general knowledge of some of the fin math topics.

Sobol sequences are pure maths used in quant work.

Also you do not need to emphasise the "pure".

Yes I agree.

By pure math, I mean that I have done maths without any application fields in mind.

Back