• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Phone call from Columbia MFE admissions ?

I hope so to..I also live in NYC and anxiously waiting for the result. I also did not get the email.

I called the MFE Admissions office and asked whether people who did not get an email to call the office on 02/12 should assume "reject" as the decision.

The lady told me "I don't hope so" and that "the department is still considering applications for decision and if you don't hear anything by Feb end than give us a call".

I cannot make anything out of the response. Maybe someone else should try it as well

Guys, pls check your application status online

I see this: "Accepted to M.S. program in Financial Engineering"

But no news via e-mail...

Congrats Feelko!! Looks like I'm in too!! My application online says the same thing.

my still says pending, looks like i really screwed myself by telling them they were not my top choice

And I guess most of the people who got the 02/12 emails are frontrunners and some now successes.

Actually, I am just wondering when you guys was filling up the application, on the section asking you if you want to apply for Columbia-provided financial aid, did you say Yes or No?
Will the school give priorities to those students did not apply for financial aid?

Just some random thoughts...

If I remember correctly, I don't think this program offers any financial aid. So I doubt it would have any influence on their decision.

If I remember correctly, I don't think this program offers any financial aid. So I doubt it would have any influence on their decision.
That financial aid section is standard in all college applications. It's relevant only to domestic applicants who are eligible for federal aid and such. In most cases, international students are not eligible for aids.

Just have got an e-mail from SEAS with admission offer

But there is no information on the deadline to respond

If I have well understood now,
1. When you get a phone interview you get accepted
2. Some people received a rejection mail
3. Others are still pending which mean that may still be considered for MSOR
Is that right?

If I have well understood now,
1. When you get a phone interview you get accepted
It doesn't even make sense.
2. Some people received a rejection mail
That's correct.
3. Others are still pending which mean that may still be considered for MSOR
If it's still pending, it doesn't mean that you are being considered for the Columbia MSOR. They are still reviewing applications. Last year they were sending decisions for 15-20 days.

I just received this email from Adina Brooks:

Thank you for your application to Columbia University’s Masters in Financial Engineering program.

As an update, we have begun contacting candidates regarding their admission status. Your application, however, is still under review. We may contact you requesting more information or an interview in the next two weeks. You will receive a final decision on or before March 1st. Please do not contact our office before then, as you will likely only delay the processing of your application.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,
The IEOR Department

Back