• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF Please comment on Quality of Live-video lecture at CMU NY campus

Please comment on Quality of Live-video lecture at CMU NY campus.

how is the stream? how is the live-lecture?

thanks,

I sat in the NYC campus classroom a few days ago. I thought the video and audio were good. I didn't stay long enough to see how NYC students ask question to the Pitt lecturer.

Since the lectures are streamed live and you can watch it from any computer at any later time, you don't have to attend the classes.

IMG_9460.jpg

IMG_9461.jpg

Since the lectures are streamed live and you can watch it from any computer at any later time, you don't have to attend the classes.

This is a really nice concept. Being able to see video of the lectures at any time would be pretty great.

It certainly helps to be able to watch the lectures over and over, pause, rewind so foreign concepts can sink in. (CMU has an IT guy on NYC campus whose job is to make sure the equipment works before each lecture, the video is uploaded, etc.)
The flip side is that many students will skip the lectures altogether because the incentive is not there. It happens.

I sat in the NYC campus classroom a few days ago. I thought the video and audio were good. I didn't stay long enough to see how NYC students ask question to the Pitt lecturer.

IMG_9460.jpg

IMG_9461.jpg
wow, looks so great ...

Sound quality ?
I think CMU has a more elaborate video/sound system of those I visited in the building just because they need to provide real feed between the two campuses and recorded videos for their students.

I haven't watched a recorded lecture so I can't comment but I didn't have any problem hearing the lecturer sitting on the back of the classroom when I was there. And there is a FT IT guy there to solve problem if there is one.

I stopped by 7City Learning's office in the same building and talked to the CQF rep there (whose first name is same as mine). 7City's next door neighbor is Cornell FE program which I also visited.
anyone can get in?
Not sure what you mean

Andy Nguyen said:
Not sure what you mean

how were you granted access? you're not a student/faculty member, correct? can anyone (joe schmoe) just walk into the lecture rooms and take a seat? that sounds risky.

Oh, I see. You quoted something different so I wasn't sure.
As a prospective student, you can sign up for the open house, or contact them directly if you want to stop by. There is security on the front desk of the building that you have to pass through. They will call the CMU's receptionist before they let you in.

I went there because Quantnet is profiling different MFE programs in the city. I actually arranged my schedule with directors of these programs in advance.

Andy Nguyen said:
Oh, I see. You quoted something different so I wasn't sure.
Sorry. Finals week. :)

Andy Nguyen said:
As a prospective student, you can sign up for the open house, or contact them directly if you want to stop by. There is security on the front desk of the building that you have to pass through. They will call the CMU's receptionist before they let you in.

I went there because Quantnet is profiling different MFE programs in the city. I actually arranged my schedule with directors of these programs in advance.

Thanks - I was just confused of what sort of environment these off-campus programs have. It's also very interesting, as you said, others are located right next to another.

The quality of video and sound are pretty good. And lecturer will go to NYC campus for lectures sometimes (I don't know the frequency).

Back