• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Princeton MFin interviews 2019 Fall

I know a current student who says he did not have an alumni interview and got in. I'm not sure how rare this is but im 100 percent sure he did not have an alumni interview
Does he have a superstar profile with considerable experience in the Finance industry or something?

To be very frank, I believe that speculation is useless. In every one of our interviews, Wendell clearly told us that the alumnus interview is not an indication of anything. The admissions committee would not make an effort to tell us this in each interview if it were not true. Furthermore, Wendell clearly mentioned this year that they are running late and that they normally have an alumnus interview. So please don't jump to conclusions by looking at how things went last year. Given the fact that they stressed that this year was running late, we shouldn't really worry too much.
Agreed

Also, just for the lot of you that are still trying to figure out how this system works, I understand that it's a fairly harrowing wait, I'm there with you. However, I'm have two takes on the matter which help me get a good night's sleep:

1. Admissions decisions are very human-based and therefore prone to considerable randomness. Give the same pool of 100 applicants to the admissions committee on two different days, chances are the admitted class will differ. Therefore, there really isn't any point in trying to figure out and crack a system that doesn't exist in the first place.

2. The admissions Commitee isn't trying to dupe us in anyway. When they say that the alumnus interview isn't merit based, it's best to take them at their word. This is for three reasons. Firstly, the entire admissions process is designed to make the candidate feel comfortable and not play dirty tricks. I've never heard of a school who tells their prospective students one thing and then acts differently. That just reflects terribly on the school. Secondly, even if we are to assume that honor doesn't play a role (which it most definitely does), the admissions committee has no tangible reason to play games with us. They have a great pool of 1000 odd applicants whom they get to pick and choose from. Lastly, considering that they are the people who make the system, they're the only people who know anything about it. It's better to take their word for it then guess.

TLDR - Trust the admissions committee, it'll help you get through the wait. When they say that it doesn't matter, let's just assume it doesn't matter.

All the best guys, I'm sure everyone will be happy at the end of all this with the programs they're admitted into.

Hey,
I know people who have got in without this. I just talked to an alumni I knew and he said that there wasn’t suppose to be an alumni round this year. I’m not sure what to make from that but I believe they gave it to a few that they might need more info about but it’s just a guess. If they only give out 20 alumni interviews it doesn’t mean only 20 are getting in so I would message Wendell this week and still feel strong depending on how you did in the first interview.
I do agree with whatever you guys are saying. @Michsund, if you have written to Wendell and got any response, it will be great if you share what she said.

Also, just for the lot of you that are still trying to figure out how this system works, I understand that it's a fairly harrowing wait, I'm there with you. However, I'm have two takes on the matter which help me get a good night's sleep:

1. Admissions decisions are very human-based and therefore prone to considerable randomness. Give the same pool of 100 applicants to the admissions committee on two different days, chances are the admitted class will differ. Therefore, there really isn't any point in trying to figure out and crack a system that doesn't exist in the first place.

2. The admissions Commitee isn't trying to dupe us in anyway. When they say that the alumnus interview isn't merit based, it's best to take them at their word. This is for three reasons. Firstly, the entire admissions process is designed to make the candidate feel comfortable and not play dirty tricks. I've never heard of a school who tells their prospective students one thing and then acts differently. That just reflects terribly on the school. Secondly, even if we are to assume that honor doesn't play a role (which it most definitely does), the admissions committee has no tangible reason to play games with us. They have a great pool of 1000 odd applicants whom they get to pick and choose from. Lastly, considering that they are the people who make the system, they're the only people who know anything about it. It's better to take their word for it then guess.

TLDR - Trust the admissions committee, it'll help you get through the wait. When they say that it doesn't matter, let's just assume it doesn't matter.

All the best guys, I'm sure everyone will be happy at the end of all this with the programs they're admitted into.
The voice of reason in a sea of panic

Just had my alumni interview and it seems that alumni interviews are in fact happening this year. Perhaps the alumni that you were speaking too was mistakenly left out of the loop. A quick chat with successful applicants of the Princeton Mfin programme (from a small sample size of 8) showed that all of them had in fact had an alumni interview. I've yet to meet anyone who was admitted into the programme without an alumni interview. I am just an applicant like all of you guys so do take my word with a grain of salt. I am as unsure of the application process as all of you.
Thanks for your update.

Last edited:
For everyone that received a second round invitation, was your first round in-person on campus or over Skype?

Does the average salary of $120k justifies the fee of $100k and 2 years ? Junk program.

About me: Over 7 years of diverse Software Engineering experience in Adtech, Fintech, HFT and Server Automation.

Does the average salary of $120k justifies the fee of $100k and 2 years ? Junk program.

About me: Over 7 years of diverse Software Engineering experience in Adtech, Fintech, HFT and Server Automation.
I’ve seen you’ve been hating on the quant community lately, seem to be a bit insecure. Starting compensation is 160k and it’s a top tier program with people getting into top positions. Many programs offer scholarships and let you get 100k salaries at the age of 22-23. So it’s not a bad inverstment.

I’ve seen you’ve been hating on the quant community lately, seem to be a bit insecure. Starting compensation is 160k and it’s a top tier program with people getting into top positions. Many programs offer scholarships and let you get 100k salaries at the age of 22-23. So it’s not a bad inverstment.

lol, what ignorance. These numbers don't add up. The tuition of these programs have been going up, but not their demand in the market. I have been in the market (NYC) for 5+ years and I am telling you the state of the job market here. Do your own research. Just FYI, I am a C++ software engineer and have worked in Fintech, HFT, Adtech(current) across different geographies.

Last edited:
lol, what ignorance. These numbers don't add up. The tuition of these programs have been going up, but not their demand in the market. I have been in the market (NYC) for 5+ years and I am telling you the state of the job market here. Do your own research. Just FYI, I am a C++ software engineer and have worked in Fintech, HFT, Adtech(current) across different geographies.
Lmao I worked in consulting and you can bet there’s tons of people who get overpaid while others don’t. There’s still money to be made and a bunch of jobs available in this market. I agree some tuitions maybe to much but many offer great scholarship packages, at least my experience so far as a American student. Just because you haven’t had the luck doesn’t mean you should go and make the generality that the whole field is not doing well. MFE programs give many students a gateway which they would have no way of getting if it wasn’t for their program, so people are willing to pay large sums of money to get that opportunity.

Lmao I worked in consulting and you can bet there’s tons of people who get overpaid while others don’t. There’s still money to be made and a bunch of jobs available in this market. I agree some tuitions maybe to much but many offer great scholarship packages, at least my experience so far as a American student. Just because you haven’t had the luck doesn’t mean you should go and make the generality that the whole field is not doing well. MFE programs give many students a gateway which they would have no way of getting if it wasn’t for their program, so people are willing to pay large sums of money to get that opportunity.

Don't want to sound harsh here (even though most of your statements are assumptions/inaccurate). I have had my fair share of luck and made way north of $120k. However, currently I am making much more outside of finance right now and know of many others (fact based) who are struggling with a lot less in finance. Most of the MFE course is either theoretical and/or outdated and companies don't pay for that. A lot of the calculations/modelling is automated and done using standard quantitative libraries (think quantlib) or outsourced to consulting companies. I am only putting my 2 cents here so that people are more informed. I am not here to argue.

Last edited:
Don't want to sound harsh here (even though most of your statements are assumptions/inaccurate). I have had my fair share of luck and made way north of $120k. However, currently I am making much more outside of finance right now and know of many others (fact based) who are struggling with a lot less in finance. Most of the MFE course is either theoretical and/or outdated and companies don't pay for that. A lot of the calculations/modelling is automated and done using standard quantitative libraries (think quantlib) or outsourced to consulting companies. I am only putting my 2 cents here so that people are more informed. I am not here to argue.
But isn't this thread about interview invites where applicants can share and discuss their application statuses with each other?
If you want to share your two cents or whatever, create separate threads and spare us? Or is it because all your posts got ignored? And I'm sure everyone who applies to the program does a fair bit of research on their own.

But isn't this thread about interview invites where applicants can share and discuss their application statuses with each other?
If you want to share your two cents or whatever, create separate threads and spare us? Or is it because all your posts got ignored? And I'm sure everyone who applies to the program does a fair bit of research on their own.
Well said.

Seems like I missed out on the fun. Lol!
For the people who got first round invites and did not get second round invite - have any of you reached out to Wendell about it? Any update whatsoever?

Back