• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile evaluation...GRE vs Quant projects

I have already posted something like this but some stuff changed and I would like to have new advice. I have applied for Columbia and Berkeley MFE and I will apply for NYU math of finance, Baruch and Carnegie Mellon.

I am 21 and I completed my bachelor in July in Economics and Management in Italy at Luiss, my GPA was 29.33/30 and my degree grade was 110 cum laude/110.

Bachelor thesis on Python about Stochastic Processes and Option Pricing with MC, Lattice method and Black-Sholes
Enrolled in 3 courses at Luiss in Mathematics, which are over and I will take the exams around May (so I miss at this point proof of my mathematical skills).
IELTS: 7.5
3-months internship as Credit Data Analyst at American Express, not at all quantitative but I leant and did some projects on VBA.
A current full-time job since 2 months ago at Morgan Stanley in Risk Management as Market risk analyst stress testing (still not quantitative but I learn about financial products and I code in SQL and VBA).
C++ certificate with Distinction
R basics certificate
Just taken the GRE, Q:168 V:159

Do I have good chances against the quantitative ninjas out there? What do you think? What should I do to improve my chances, retake GRE and aim to 170, or give priority to other stuff? I want to take a course about ODE and PDE and another about Machine Learning from ColumbiaX. Maybe I should focus on these other projects... My objective is Berkeley but wherever I enter this year in above-mentioned unis I will go.
Share your thoughts and thank you very much !!!

Last edited:
Back