• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant career and disabilities

I have a severe hearing impairment, and am wondering how much this would affect my chances of getting a quant job. I love mathematics, love to program and love finance, so I can't think of a better career choice for me. But would my disability stop me from getting hired anywhere? Even if I were to be hired, would my disability negatively affect my coworkers in any way?

Some firms have a policy of making sure that everyone with an officially recognised disability gets an interview.

I won't go as far as to say it will never be an issue, and there will be some jobs won't be ideal for you. But I'd also say that it doesn't really matter since most employers are worse than most banks about this sort of thing, so if you were comparing it with other types of employment, to me it would be a no brainer.

However, there's a lots of legal crap out there, that although for "your benefit" I think makes your job hunting harder. Both personal discomfort and fear of you suing them will make employers reluctant to ask questions like "can you use a phone ?"

So being the sort of person I am, I'll ask it for them.

Can you use a phone ?
What tech can you use to make a phone usable ?

Do you need to be in lipreading range / line of sight when talking ?

Does your existing hearing aid have the ability to interconnect with the banks voice tech ?
VOIP. Bluetooth, etc.

How well does your hearing aid cope with environments that are both acoustically and electronically noisy ?

Can you use a cell phone ?

Are you undergoing any medical treatment for it ?

How well do you speak ?

What other disabilities do you have ?

There's other stuff, but I'm guessing you've lived your life enough to think them up yourself.

The reason you need to answer these questions is to take the initiative in the interview process. If you can truthfully say "my earpiece can work in a screaming football crowd", and work through how it's not going to be a big issue for them, you will help a lot.

Be clear here how it works. After interview the managers will get together and perhaps ask "can he work with traders, with the ear thing ?", and what you don't want is for that question to go unanswered when you aren't there to answer it.

Or they may not explicitly say anything, but form their own conclusions, again not good.

A second and perhaps more important issue is initiative.
Bankers want people who push hard, think ahead, and who can deal with shit when it happens.
So by demonstrating that you've thought through all the hassles your hearing gives you, and found solutions to them, they will rate your character more highly, which is a real win.

..and some will just pretend to interview because HR made them, we can't fix that, but we can make a good case to the others who I believe to be the majority.

There is a lot of tech out there that can work for you, and compared to your cost of employment it's pathetically cheap. Find the right person in IT, and they will see getting you kitted out as a personal challenge.

One of the (few) joys of being a senior partner at a headhunting firm is that I get to decide what our policies are, and we've always tried to give an extra push to those who need to push harder, so if you have specific questions you don't want to talk about on a public forum,
I'm Dominic # PaulDominic.com

Can you use a phone ?
What tech can you use to make a phone usable ?

Do you need to be in lipreading range / line of sight when talking ?

Does your existing hearing aid have the ability to interconnect with the banks voice tech ?
VOIP. Bluetooth, etc.

How well does your hearing aid cope with environments that are both acoustically and electronically noisy ?

Can you use a cell phone ?

Are you undergoing any medical treatment for it ?

How well do you speak ?

What other disabilities do you have ?

Actually, I can use a phone. My current hearing aid has a program specifically for use with a telephone. I plan on getting a cochlear implant within the next few years, however. When that happens, telephone, Bluetooth, etc won't be a problem. Even before then, however, my hearing aid also has a program that specifically blocks out background noise so that I can hear a person talking, no joke (this hearing aid was expensive, though. LOL).

I have no other disabilities. And at my last school, I was on the debate team and won a few speaker awards, so I can speak pretty well. But for right now (before the implant), I do read lips and need to have a line of sight when people are talking to me.

Thanks, Mr. Connor for letting me know how to handle interviews as far as my disability is concerned!

And thanks, alain, for your response, too!

today i spoke to myself only....and it's already 5pm. I'm sure I'd be fine at my job if i had a hearing/speech problem :)

TD makes a valid point, that being able to block out background noise in a bank can have real value when you are trying to concentrate.

Tiffany, just so I understand... You can hear people with your aid but not so well that you also need to lip read ?

today i spoke to myself only....and it's already 5pm. I'm sure I'd be fine at my job if i had a hearing/speech problem :)

Sounds good! :)

Tiffany, just so I understand... You can hear people with your aid but not so well that you also need to lip read ?

Right. Hence the need for a cochlear implant. I am deaf in my left ear, and have impairment in my right ear. I wear my hearing aid in my right ear. Hopefully, by the time that I start applying for quant jobs, I will have had the implant.

Back