• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant. job

Hi

I am a PhD student in Mississippi State University, pursuing my PhD in computational nuclear physics. I will be graduating by May 2017. I have done coding and data analysis through Matlab etc. I wish to apply for quant jobs. However I do not have sound knowledge in statistics ! is it possible for me to get a job ?

Have you programmed in languages besides Matlab? In a sense it's at the bottom of the 'programming' chain.

I'm not a nuclear physicist but don't these folks (need to) do number-crunching in C?

Last edited:
Let's not start getting childish again.

Sorry, you mean Python of course.

Methinks you need to get out more. Or less intolerant. Have a look at this index. Ever heard of 'legacy code'?
I don't use C, but many people do, using VC++ 6.0.

TIOBE Index | TIOBE - The Software Quality Company
Ha. Sorry Daniel, I meant it as a joke. It's not a Python/C/C++ thing. It's more like a lot of work is done in matlab, mathematica and some other esotheric languages (and even SDL).

Python is making some inroads. I know CERN has done some things with it. However, they might still be using Root. It's this thing written in C++ that is its own concoction

I have done mostly Fortran coding. But I don't have a solid sound knowledge in statistics. Do these people demand that from Physics folks ?

I have done mostly Fortran coding.
Now you're talking :) This is certainly a good basis (speaking as an ex-Fortran66/77 programmer) because it engenders an engineering mindset which is very good. I do know a couple quants who use Fortran but these day it's C++, Python, C# + other languages.

Many cold-war quants have written their C++ libraries in a Fortran style.

As I have done the Fortran, I'm pretty sure I can grasp other languages quickly. But do the recruiters listen to that ? I was applying a bit, but did not a positive reply yet :'(

I don't understand why you say you don't have solid Statistics. Is this some sort of impostor syndrome behavior?

Not exactly ! But seriously, apart from few 'probability ' which I have gone through during my physics days, i have never studied statistics. even in math also, i have not taken stat courses. so i don't know i always feel that i don't know statistics concepts much , honestly.

Not necessarily. C++ is >> Fortran in difficulty and scope.

So, be careful with these unfounded statements, for your own good.

I'm pretty sure I can grasp other languages quickly.
Then do it.
The first few QN C++ (both courses) are free. Let us know what you think.

Back