• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant QF/MFE vs. Data Science Analytics DSA

@Andy Nguyen @Daniel Duffy

hi

My passion in Quant Trading / HFT / Algo Trading : I'm already doing some trading models.

I'm totally lost in choosing the right M.Sc. between MFE/QF or Data Science Analytics DSA.

1- Do you think that QF was a bubble ? Or the market is soaked with Quants ? If not; What type of jobs still available for Quants QF/MFE ?
2- Do you think that DSA is the new MFE ?
3- What is your outlook for both QF/MFE and DSA ? i.e. Jobs availability , Salaries , Placement Trend , Supply vs. Demand ?
4- Which is more related to Quant/Algo/HFT Trading ? I'm only interested in Quant Trading / HFT.
5- What you think about this Chart ?

upload_2016-10-27_2-20-32.png

Thanx

Define quant trading. Define HFT. Define algo trading. What exactly are you trying to do? I guarantee you that whatever you are doing now (e.g., "I'm already doing some trading models") is not HFT.

Define quant trading. Define HFT. Define algo trading. What exactly are you trying to do? I guarantee you that whatever you are doing now (e.g., "I'm already doing some trading models") is not HFT.

thnx for reply @Parallax
Am fully far from HFT.
I do some trading based on stats models and risk management. lets forget about what i'm doing in details.
here a snapshot for one model
upload_2016-10-27_3-12-45.png

now , may you share your knowledge about my questions plz ?

@Andy Nguyen @Daniel Duffy

hi

My passion in Quant Trading / HFT / Algo Trading : I'm already doing some trading models.

I'm totally lost in choosing the right M.Sc. between MFE/QF or Data Science Analytics DSA.

1- Do you think that QF was a bubble ? Or the market is soaked with Quants ? If not; What type of jobs still available for Quants QF/MFE ?
3- What is your outlook for both QF/MFE and DSA ? i.e. Jobs availability , Salaries , Placement Trend , Supply vs. Demand ?
4- Which is more related to Quant/Algo/HFT Trading ? I'm only interested in Quant Trading / HFT.

View attachment 16464

Thanx

@Ken Abbott Kindly; May you share your inputs ?

@Ken Abbott Kindly; May you share your inputs ?

Yes, - a bit, but there's still real work to be done with real jobs being created in the banking sector.

Maybe. Tech is moving really fast. There may be real opportunities on the fintech side wrt payments.

More supply, but no one goes hungry.

I have no answer. I think that HFT is one bad flash-crash away from being heavily, heavily regulated.

upload_2016-10-27_2-20-32-png.16464

I think that until I know exactly what'S being measured and how I will reserve judgement

Thanx

thnx @Daniel Duffy
kindly , may you comment or share your knowledge about my post and help me to find answers to my questions ?

regards

Prediction is difficult, especially the future.

I think you need to look into crystal ball 5-10 years down the line and get on that train. It's leaving the station and there are a few leading indicators.

Companies that do not take on these new technologies are doomed if history is anything to go by.

Last but not least .. do what you like because it might last 50 years.

I think you need to look into crystal ball 5-10 years down the line and get on that train. It's leaving the station and there are a few leading indicators.

Companies that do not take on these new technologies are doomed if history is anything to go by.

i'm schadenfreude and like screwing other people. what job do you recommend?

Yes, - a bit, but there's still real work to be done with real jobs being created in the banking sector.

Maybe. Tech is moving really fast. There may be real opportunities on the fintech side wrt payments.

More supply, but no one goes hungry.

I have no answer. I think that HFT is one bad flash-crash away from being heavily, heavily regulated.

upload_2016-10-27_2-20-32-png.16464

I think that until I know exactly what'S being measured and how I will reserve judgement

Thanx

Thanx @Ken Abbott
for the last chart : it is the # of jobs available at indeed.com with tag word (quant , data scientist).
JFK -- the blue line (Quant jobs @ indeed) reminds me of the most common pattern for penny stocks ! and you know that almost penny stock = Junk !

Iff you know or have any idea " may help me - what most skills required for Quant/Algo trader ? i.e. from a HF/Corporate/Prop Trading house point of view. what most related master degrees to QUANT ALGO TRADING ?

regards

Prediction is difficult, especially the future.

@Daniel Duffy i don't believe in predictions either ; but there must be some stats that can tell how QF/FE doing ?

also from your experience -- what most skills required for Quant/Algo trader ? i.e. from a HF/Corporate/Prop Trading house point of view. what most related master degrees to QUANT ALGO TRADING ?

Thanx again.

Back