• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quantitative Interview questions and answers

does anyone have answers for #s 1,2, 4 and 5 in the original post? The OP didn't give them. I got:

1.sqrt(2),
2. 2e^(n2pi/6) where n is an integer from 0 to 5
4. 3/4
5. 1/8

does anyone have answers for #s 1,2, 4 and 5 in the original post? The OP didn't give them. I got:

1.sqrt(2),
2. 2e^(n2pi/6) where n is an integer from 0 to 5
4. 3/4
5. 1/8

1. correct.
2. you're missing an i (sqrt(-1)) in the exponent.
4. correct.
5. no. it's 1/4.

Note that 4 and 5 are effectively the same question.

5. no. it's 1/4.

Note that 4 and 5 are effectively the same question.
ok. i found the mistake in my work, I do get 1/4 for that one.

I actually didn't realize that 4 and 5 were the same thing. It's not obvious to me why that is, could you explain it?
edit: nvm figured it out
edit#2: Thanks for the answer

Generalized Semicircle Covering Points Problem

4. 3 points are randomly drawn on a circle. What is the probability of them being on the same semi-circle ?

A nice generalization of this problem can be found here
If (n) points are drawn randomly on a circle, the probability of them being on the same semi-circle is (\frac{n}{2^{n-1}})

If person A flips 99 fair coins and obtains heads x times. Person B flips 100 fair coins and obtains heads y times. What is the probability that x < y?

If person A flips 99 fair coins and obtains heads x times. Person B flips 100 fair coins and obtains heads y times. What is the probability that x < y?

(\frac{1}{2})

For each sequence of tosses (S), let (S') be the sequence with heads replaced by tails and tails replaced by heads. Then there is a 1-1 correspondence

((A,B)\leftrightarrow(A',B'))

in which if one side has the property (x<y), then the other side has (x\geq y), showing that the two have equal probability.

not sure about this but isnt this just the difference of 2 binomial rvs?

This is from a phone interview with a tier 1 bank.

Let A be an n by n square matrix where n is odd. Each column and each row is a permutation of numbers from 1 to n. Prove that diagonal is a permutation of numbers from 1 to n.

This is from a phone interview with a tier 1 bank.

Let A be an n by n square matrix where n is odd. Each column and each row is a permutation of numbers from 1 to n. Prove that diagonal is a permutation of numbers from 1 to n.

New member here. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
This is a misleading question, because the presumed true answer is actually false. Play sudoku lately?

[Edited to add a solved Sudoku puzzle]
6 9 1 5 4 7 2 3 8
3 8 4 2 6 1 9 7 5
5 7 2 3 8 9 4 1 6
8 3 6 9 7 5 1 4 2
7 1 9 6 2 4 5 8 3
2 4 5 8 1 3 6 9 7
9 6 7 1 3 2 8 5 4
4 5 8 7 9 6 3 2 1
1 2 3 4 5 8 7 6 9

New member here. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
This is a misleading question, because the presumed true answer is actually false. Play sudoku lately?

[Edited to add a solved Sudoku puzzle]
6 9 1 5 4 7 2 3 8
3 8 4 2 6 1 9 7 5
5 7 2 3 8 9 4 1 6
8 3 6 9 7 5 1 4 2
7 1 9 6 2 4 5 8 3
2 4 5 8 1 3 6 9 7
9 6 7 1 3 2 8 5 4
4 5 8 7 9 6 3 2 1
1 2 3 4 5 8 7 6 9

I think what he's missing from the problem is that the matrix be symmetric (about the main diagonal). Then the main diagonal must indeed be a permutation of 1, ..., n.

well, I finally saw sudoku skills being useful in math :) Let's see how sudoku guy deals with the problem now :)

basically you assume that there is some duplicate in the diagonal, then come up with an algorithm to fill in the matrix, eventually you'll run into a contradiction, ie. one of the columns/rows will have duplicates

Iniesta, could you be more specific? i.e. give a precise proof.
I have a different solution, so curious to see other way.

Back