• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quantnet NYC Roommate List

My girlfriend showed me this from her med school forum and thought it was a good idea. It is a list that new quant students who are looking for roommates in NYC can put their name and info down. Its on Google docs so everyone can add their name. I left it open, with no invite necessary so hopefully it won't become abused. Let me know what you think of this and if there are any improvements you can think of.

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjuLW8A1CGXjdE9oczdDclp2TjY4bTF3VzhJckxzVHc

Sorry to sound dumb but I'll be moving to NY in late August. How do internationals usually find apartments and do I have to get there to pay and get my apartment? Or can I contact people off craigslist? What is the easiest way forward for an international such that I arrive at the airport, get a cab and get to my apartment? Thankyou.

The school will have an international office which coordinates the I-20 paperwork, visas, etc. for the international students. You should contact them. They normally have a group of volunteers who are senior-level international students. Generally they will pick you up at the airport and let you stay in their apartment for a week while you find your own room. Then you go on Craigslist and look for a room.
There are also hostels in NYC which cater to the international students / backpackers. You can book these in advance from abroad for short term or long-term and then after you arrive, you can look for your own room on Craigslist. No one on Craigslist will rent you a room without you seeing the room in person and showing ID and making a deposit. If you try to rent a room from abroad, you will probably end up as a victim to a scam artist.

thank you for your perfect answer.:)

The school will have an international office which coordinates the I-20 paperwork, visas, etc. for the international students. You should contact them. They normally have a group of volunteers who are senior-level international students. Generally they will pick you up at the airport and let you stay in their apartment for a week while you find your own room. Then you go on Craigslist and look for a room.
There are also hostels in NYC which cater to the international students / backpackers. You can book these in advance from abroad for short term or long-term and then after you arrive, you can look for your own room on Craigslist. No one on Craigslist will rent you a room without you seeing the room in person and showing ID and making a deposit. If you try to rent a room from abroad, you will probably end up as a victim to a scam artist.

Try to network with your future classmates prior to your travel so you can find apt together. I know many incoming MFE students are doing just that right now. This way, you have a place to stay when you arrive.
What traderjoe said sounds good and may be possible but I won't rely very much on them. Some universities have those services but many don't.

Hi guys, I'm an incoming student for MSCF NYC and I'm looking to rent in Manhattan. I was thinking of living by myself but then I felt it's good to have a roommate who's also doing MFE or similar stuff. I have started the apartment search which haven't resulted in much. I'm 22, Male, heterosexual and single, Chinese, permanent resident of the US, 5'11.5'', 158 lbs, had my undergrad in the US, Anime Otaku, play League and Dota(2), swim every day, have a cold sense of humor, average in most other aspects of life. The above are just information for your convenience. The only thing I ask of you is that when I sit at my desk working, there's absolutely nothing coming in from your side, including but no restricted to: noise/music, strong smell, strong light, smog or mist, projectile and all animals but cat. Of course I, on the other side, guarantee the same to you. That provided, we'll be totally good and will both find well-paid jobs after graduation. I don't personally guarantee the very last thing.
Contact me at wangrt@umich.edu ;)

It may be beneficial for a lot of people if this thread is used in a Craigslist manner. There is a lot to be gained by living with fellow MFE students, whether you attend the same school or not, rather than some hipster (not that there's anything wrong with hipsters). Think of the networking boost that would come from living with a student from another school... you will gain part of each others network as well, a mutually beneficial scenario. Also, second-hand exposure to the potentially different teaching approaches and philosophies of other program's faculty.

My apologies to the moderators if they feel this is an inappropriate usage of this forum.

Perhaps this format would be useful for efficiently parsing out good matches...

Email: agcoates3@gmail.com
City: NY
Acceptable area(s) within city: Lower Manhattan, preferably around Greenwich Village or East Village
School: NYU
Max Rent+Utilities: $1700, preferably less

Lifestyle requirements from roommates:
Not loud when I'm working or sleeping. Clutter is fine, filth is not. Must be ok with my out of town friends visiting over the weekend on rare occasions. Would be nice if roommates are sociable, outgoing, and interested in exploring the city and nearby restaurants/bars/etc.

Relevant personal info:
23 y/o white male born and raised in US. Lately I've spent most of my free time working on personal programming projects, staying current on my favorite shows (mainly feel-good comedies and GoT), and exercising. I'm just about always down to do something fun or try something new. I'm very agreeable and will on most occasions be happy to conform to others living requirements if asked (e.g. if I have dirty dishes you want out of the sink, just say so and I'll clean them ASAP). I'd be interested in having multiple roommates to further reduce the rent burden.

It may be beneficial for a lot of people if this thread is used in a Craigslist manner. There is a lot to be gained by living with fellow MFE students, whether you attend the same school or not, rather than some hipster (not that there's anything wrong with hipsters). Think of the networking boost that would come from living with a student from another school... you will gain part of each others network as well, a mutually beneficial scenario. Also, second-hand exposure to the potentially different teaching approaches and philosophies of other program's faculty.

My apologies to the moderators if they feel this is an inappropriate usage of this forum.

Perhaps this format would be useful for efficiently parsing out good matches...

Email: agcoates3@gmail.com
City: NY
Acceptable area(s) within city: Lower Manhattan, preferably around Greenwich Village or East Village
School: NYU
Max Rent+Utilities: $1700, preferably less

Lifestyle requirements from roommates:
Not loud when I'm working or sleeping. Clutter is fine, filth is not. Must be ok with my out of town friends visiting over the weekend on rare occasions. Would be nice if roommates are sociable, outgoing, and interested in exploring the city and nearby restaurants/bars/etc.

Relevant personal info:
23 y/o white male born and raised in US. Lately I've spent most of my free time working on personal programming projects, staying current on my favorite shows (mainly feel-good comedies and GoT), and exercising. I'm just about always down to do something fun or try something new. I'm very agreeable and will on most occasions be happy to conform to others living requirements if asked (e.g. if I have dirty dishes you want out of the sink, just say so and I'll clean them ASAP). I'd be interested in having multiple roommates to further reduce the rent burden.
Agree. I wish Andy could replace the title with something like "MFE program roommate search" master thread
Provided this thread gets popular, of course.
And Daniel, to answer your question, I need to have someone to share a bed with.

You will be spending most of your time at school so finding a location with reasonable commute time in safe neighborhood is important.
Everyone wants to live in Manhattan but you can do better by living in other boroughs (Queens, Brooklyn) or Jersey and commute.
We have a roommate list before https://www.quantnet.com/threads/quantnet-nyc-roommate-list.9210/

Back