• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

QuantNet Online C++ course or University C++ class?

For background, I am an undergraduate honors math major at Notre Dame. I am currently going through the Lippman/LaJoie/E. Moo fifth edition C++ primer, which I will finish by the end of the summer. Should I, come fall, try to get into the C/C++ course that my University offers (total 17 credit hours), or take 14 credit hours and also do the Baruch/QuantNet online C++ for Financial Engineering Course?

Basically, would it look better for Ph.D./Masters programs and undergraduate internship programs to have taken a University course or to have done well in the online course & certificate?

Additionally, which will actually give me a more thorough / pertinent understanding of C++?

Thanks.

I guess part of depends on what PHD/Masters you want to get into.

Ive taken University programming courses, albeit not C++, and I feel like this one is slightly better, in the sense of application. Rather then being purely Computer Science theory, you learn actual applications and "best practices" regarding coding. In regards to applicability to the specific program, it might be beneficial to ask the program director what they would prefer.

Agree with Wilson. I took my matlab courses in undergraduate and I think this c++ is way better than that. (maybe is the Professor's issue: he gave simple example but crazy homework project without explaining). In here, I think the forum really helps. first, solve your question very fast. during 6-10pm, (maybe the time TAs gets off work), you would usually get your reply in less half hour. second, know others' problems or sometimes people will share their experience, this part will help you establish a solid understanding. comparing that a point, in college course, you have to go to office hour or waiting for prof/ta email reply which is way more inefficient.
For admission recognition, i am going to talk to my school mfe's admission counselor this friday, asking the question like "will quantnet course be a good proof of my c++ skill". I will post the response later. (my school has one of the top 5 mfe programs, i think if its mfe department recognize this course, so as the rest of program)

I guess part of depends on what PHD/Masters you want to get into.

Ive taken University programming courses, albeit not C++, and I feel like this one is slightly better, in the sense of application. Rather then being purely Computer Science theory, you learn actual applications and "best practices" regarding coding. In regards to applicability to the specific program, it might be beneficial to ask the program director what they would prefer.
Is it possible to see the outline of any C++ course from anyone here? Just for comparison purposes.

Well thank you everyone for your input, it looks as if my mind is pretty much set on the QuantNet/Baruch Online course!

Finally as a sort of follow up question, do you guys think that the online course is roughly equivalent to three credit hours of work or more?

As I have read, essentially three hours of "lecture" per week with somewhere between 6 - 12 hours of work outside of lecture.
how many weeks; is that 12-16 hours work outside in total?
In a face-to-face course, it would take me about 4-5 days (8 hours per day :D, sorry uni) to get this stuff done.

It's apple vs orange,, but gives an estimate I suppose..

Last edited:
Hi though I really acknowledge Quantnet C++ is a very good course, it's better to remember you are asking question in the quantnet forum so that you are now facing a selection bias.

I think it would be a good practice to hear from your schoolmates who have taken your univercity C++ course as well.

Listen to both sides and you will be enlightened.

Hi though I really acknowledge Quantnet C++ is a very good course, it's better to remember you are asking question in the quantnet forum so that you are now facing a selection bias.

I think it would be a good practice to hear from your schoolmates who have taken your univercity C++ course as well.

Listen to both sides and you will be enlightened.

I think it's called "due diligence"

Some reviews on QN C++
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/c-online-programming-cert-testimonials.9227/

Last edited:
Back