• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF REQUIREMENTS TO Carnegie Mellon - MSCF PROGRAM

here's the thing, roni.

you (from what i've read) are matriculating this fall. you haven't been through one of the these programs yet (or started one, for that matter).

i get that you're trying to be helpful. however, in trying to do so, you're contributing to the random noise that exists on so many of these forums. one could make the argument that by providing information that is hearsay, you are not being helpful yourself. i've spent enough time on these forums over the years that i know the kinds of misinformation (well-intentioned or not) that gets tossed around.

so forgive me if you feel that i'm bitching; i'm not. i'm just trying to get you to see that providing information that you've read from others who a) haven't gone to cmu and/or b) haven't even started at an mfe program and c) is hearsay isn't always useful. that's all.

i'm actually quite a nice person, but that's neither here nor there.

anyways, is the mini system at all disruptive to the learning process? it can be, yes. however, almost all successive courses tend to build on the previous ones, lending a sense of continuity. and, i'd argue that cmu does a very good job getting its students to learn as much as possible in the span of a year and a half as is possible. some things are touched on in more depth than others, sure, but there's both depth and breadth to the program.

as for getting a "real" quant job, it depends on what you mean by "real." some of my classmates have gone into mortgage modeling groups or heavy duty credit analysis roles. some are doing strategy or structuring. others are working as desk quants. and a lot are working in trading roles. are any of them developing the next BDT? probably not, but i don't think even most PhDs these days believe that to be a realistic goal.

so yes, hai could apply to some of those jobs, although i'd venture that he/she would be starting at entry level. there aren't too many kids out of any mfe programs that are making 250 or whatever base. those jobs look like a couple years down the road jobs, but cmu students do take up entry level roles in those areas, absolutely.

Back