• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Retaking only Quant section of GRE

I wasn't satisfied with my quant score on my first try of the GRE and wanted to retake just that section to improve my application since I'm fine with the scores on the other 2 sections. Just to save time and concentration...do you think it's a good idea?

I don't think you can retake only one section of the GRE test.
You can retake GRE test that includes all three sections.
And I think, if you just take the GRE twice, the admission office will consider the higher score of every section.
By the way, Q section is very important to MFE admission. Good luck!

I don't think you can retake only one section of the GRE test.
You can retake GRE test that includes all three sections.
And I think, if you just take the GRE twice, the admission office will consider the higher score of every section.
By the way, Q section is very important to MFE admission. Good luck!

Hi ChaoL, what I meant by retaking just the quant section was to just skip the other 2 sections and have them show up as "NS" (No score) on the report. However I will make sure to send the results of my 1st take as well. I am just hoping that this does not signal some kind of a red flag to the admissions committee.

And thanks :)

Hi ChaoL, what I meant by retaking just the quant section was to just skip the other 2 sections and have them show up as "NS" (No score) on the report. However I will make sure to send the results of my 1st take as well. I am just hoping that this does not signal some kind of a red flag to the admissions committee.

And thanks :)
I have never heard people have done this. All others retake GRE just retake the whole test.
Anyway, I hope other people can help you with this question. But before that, I don't recommend you to do it.
Or, a better way is to email an university's admission office about this.

I don't think its a good idea. Colleges rarely take the higher sectional score of individual tests. If you have a particular college in mind or even if you plan to apply to 3-4, it's best to individually confirm with them if they'll consider the higher sectional scores.

Don't recommend it. Even if the admissions committee figures out what you were doing they could only come to two conclusions:
  • You've gotten worse at English (not good)
  • You are lazy (not good)
I retook my GREs (years ago) and did worse the second time on the English section. Such is life.

Don't recommend it. Even if the admissions committee figures out what you were doing they could only come to two conclusions:
  • You've gotten worse at English (not good)
  • You are lazy (not good)
I retook my GREs (years ago) and did worse the second time on the English section. Such is life.

I'm pretty sure I could give them a context for what I did, merely to show that I wanted to improve my quant score in order to make a stronger application to their program.

• My English couldn't have gotten that much worse in the span of a few months (I took this exam in December)
  • I don't think it would show laziness, since it shows I am working on everything I can in order to make my application as strong as it could be.
In this way, do you think they'd consider it?

You are sitting in front of the GRE screen and deliberately keep clicking NEXT instead of answering the English section? You have no excuse. If your English has not deteriorated why skip it?

That last thing you want to do during an interview/application is give excuses.

Back