Should I do a PhD at Cambridge?

Should I do a PhD in Engineering at Cambridge if I want to become a Quant?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Do it part time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NotADog

Just got offered funding for a PhD in Engineering (focus on designing dynamic network models for telecoms networks) at Cambridge. I have my friends and partner over in London, who may or may not follow me to Cambridge. I sincerely don't want to enter academia - not enough businessmen there to learn from, IMO. Currently working as a data intern at a hedge fund, I see myself becoming a quant developer. My interest isn't money, it's just doing something that studies a system that matters, and finance is the most important system (at least the one that has the highest importance with a minimal importance to accessibility ratio) that also pays the best.

Should I do the PhD? Is the Dr. at the front of my name worth the work before it and lack of advance rewards?

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
Reading your post, have you not answered your own question???
A Dr. is a privilege, not an entitlement..

In finance IMHO you need to know maths and programming (C++, Python etc.). I don't see how telecoms helps. My rough guess is it's graph optimization algorithms?

Last edited:

NotADog

Reading your post, have you not answered your own question???
A Dr. is a privilege, not an entitlement..
No, I haven't. Hence the question. Is what I learn, what I create, and the time I spend actually worth it for my growth as a person? It's not a choice between becoming a surfing teacher or a university lecturer - I don't know what path yields the best (not necessarily monetary) rewards. Please don't be an asshole about this, it's a very serious question.

Michsund

C++ Student
No, I haven't. Hence the question. Is what I learn, what I create, and the time I spend actually worth it for my growth as a person? It's not a choice between becoming a surfing teacher or a university lecturer - I don't know what path yields the best (not necessarily monetary) rewards. Please don't be an asshole about this, it's a very serious question.
Your the only one who seems like an asshole, asshole.

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
You have an uncanny ability to not read the top of a page.
I never take statements at face value.

Anyways, if you had been a bit more pro-active and less spoon-feeding see

Last edited: