• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I do a PhD at Cambridge?

Should I do a PhD in Engineering at Cambridge if I want to become a Quant?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Do it part time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just got offered funding for a PhD in Engineering (focus on designing dynamic network models for telecoms networks) at Cambridge. I have my friends and partner over in London, who may or may not follow me to Cambridge. I sincerely don't want to enter academia - not enough businessmen there to learn from, IMO. Currently working as a data intern at a hedge fund, I see myself becoming a quant developer. My interest isn't money, it's just doing something that studies a system that matters, and finance is the most important system (at least the one that has the highest importance with a minimal importance to accessibility ratio) that also pays the best.

Should I do the PhD? Is the Dr. at the front of my name worth the work before it and lack of advance rewards?

Reading your post, have you not answered your own question???
A Dr. is a privilege, not an entitlement..

In finance IMHO you need to know maths and programming (C++, Python etc.). I don't see how telecoms helps. My rough guess is it's graph optimization algorithms?

Last edited:
Reading your post, have you not answered your own question???
A Dr. is a privilege, not an entitlement..
No, I haven't. Hence the question. Is what I learn, what I create, and the time I spend actually worth it for my growth as a person? It's not a choice between becoming a surfing teacher or a university lecturer - I don't know what path yields the best (not necessarily monetary) rewards. Please don't be an asshole about this, it's a very serious question.

No, I haven't. Hence the question. Is what I learn, what I create, and the time I spend actually worth it for my growth as a person? It's not a choice between becoming a surfing teacher or a university lecturer - I don't know what path yields the best (not necessarily monetary) rewards. Please don't be an asshole about this, it's a very serious question.
Your the only one who seems like an asshole, asshole.

You have an uncanny ability to not read the top of a page.
I never take statements at face value.

Anyways, if you had been a bit more pro-active and less spoon-feeding see

Last edited:
Back