• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

SMU MQF (Singapore)

NUS has part-time and full-time students. SMU only has full-time students, although there's a few that tried to work full-time while studying full-time (taking time from work to attend lectures). Didn't work out too well.

Haha I'm sure.
What about your views on the job markets? I hope most grads don't feel too cheated after the program?

Cass has good faculty, especially Dr. Giovanni Urga who taught us advanced econometric.

Like SMU, they have an active portal with a ton of job opportunities based in UK. The downside is there's simply too many to meaningfully narrow down to the good ones. There's a dedicated career officer who sent us a couple of quant-specific opportunities in bulge brackets. Overall, career services in Cass is not too shabby but nothing to sing home about.

But it's always good to keep in mind that career services is a complimentary tool to help you find a job. At the end of the day, your own destiny is in your own hands.

We're only here for 3 months, so no one seriously tried for an internship while we were at Cass. As for permanent positions, none as far as I know.

KB, thanks for your reply. I think the downside of this program is the rare chance of getting an internship during the processing of program due to the limited time. But do you happen to see any body get one somehow? Though the curriculum is what I am exactly looking for, at the end of day, we need to find a job.... This is my biggest concern about whether to take this one.

During the break between Term 1 & 2 (in Singapore), about 5 of us had internships with a prop trading firm. It was sourced by SMU's career services office. I found my own using personal contacts.

During the break between Term 1 & 2 (in Singapore), about 5 of us had internships with a prop trading firm. It was sourced by SMU's career services office. I found my own using personal contacts.

Hi KB,

Will it be possible for you to share your experience on the kind of work you and your batchmates did during the internship.

Thanks,
Nitin

I just got an admit from NUS for MFE courses starting July 2013. Would like to connect with more admits here . And also if anyone could comment on job prospects post MFE/MQF in Singapore compared to MBA courses would be very helpful. Is it 100% placement at NUS MFE in 3 months post graduation ?

hey dude..gimme your number ..lets chat ..and do you guys have some fb page or google group to connect ?

Hi Guys,

Well this might seem a bit off the track for this thread, but I am looking for info for the MAF (MS in Applied Finance) Course at SMU.
I understand the fact that MQF stands more quantitative and MAF is more like CFA curriculum. I want to know the prospects after the course, its relevance etc. I see people here who are doing their MQF from SMU. It would be great if anyone can shed some light on the MAF course.
I have an admit for MAF starting June 2013.

join in mate..lets discuss the opportunities and connect...but admits only please

Hi KB

Who to contact in SMU for contact for intern? I plan to start my internship before the term starts. Contacted Audrey, however no reply

Thanks

Audrey's the best person for this. However, she is away on business and has intermittent connection at the moment. Give it a couple more days.

ShinjiOno, probably you can wait for 2 days as KB suggested or else leave a message over skype with the person who interviewed you.

Back