• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

SMU MQF (Singapore)

"Thank you for the email.

I’m afraid there is no internship arrangement for our new MQF candidates before Sept 2013."

Hi KB, just to enquire, i recently applied to SMU MQF late march this year, and it had been a month, but still no reply. How long it took for them to reply you? Wondering whether my chances are low.

For our current batch, the replies ranged from taking forever to just a couple of days so there's no real benchmark. For us, there were 2 people who were interviewed in the last week before they emailed out the rejections. There's still hope :)

Hi KB, thanks for your reply. Btw how your time in London right now, heard the weather is turning whether nice lately. Hope it continues. Just got further queries, when you said last week, what do u mean? You mean last 2 weeks in June or May?

Hi Ken, I don't remember when they sent out the rejection letters.

Hi Ken, I don't remember when they sent out the rejection letters.
Can you share some insights or experience in the job type in Singapore after such a quantitative program? As far as I've learned, most of the jobs are closed connected to coding and programming. But I'm not a computer guru and cannot even compete with CS guys with a mere BS degree. Are there many other choices and opportunities after such a program? By other, I mean middle office risk, energy trading, structured product management, IB, consultancy, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong because there is a lot of information asymmetries involved.
Thank you very much. KB.

Jobs in finance are drying up, so I would definitely broaden my search beyond finance. Quite a number of folks from SMU's MSc Applied Finance landed risk roles, although not not in bulge brackets. It's interesting that recent opportunities that I came across at SMU have been for consulting (Deloitte Consulting, Accenture etc) and risk roles in oil and gas companies.

I know I wrote only bits and pieces of information here. Hope it helps.

SMU offers internship opputunuty with SGX for HFT before the term starts

Spoke with our school team and thought that I cleared this up. This is not quite accurate. There is an internship/contract opportunity with SGX related to HFT recently. That was extended to existing MQF students. Also, as you are aware, SGX deals with the technology side (they don't do prop trading). This position is positioned as such.

Hope this helps.

Jobs in finance are drying up, so I would definitely broaden my search beyond finance. Quite a number of folks from SMU's MSc Applied Finance landed risk roles, although not not in bulge brackets. It's interesting that recent opportunities that I came across at SMU have been for consulting (Deloitte Consulting, Accenture etc) and risk roles in oil and gas companies.

I know I wrote only bits and pieces of information here. Hope it helps.

I would disagree. Most jobs are actually not advertised. You would need to network extensively to discover them and there are still many opportunities available.

P.S. I finished my BBM(QF) in SMU and might have seen you a before. Doing my MSFE in New York.

I would disagree. Most jobs are actually not advertised. You would need to network extensively to discover them and there are still many opportunities available.

P.S. I finished my BBM(QF) in SMU and might have seen you a before. Doing my MSFE in New York.

Back