• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

So I just took a practice GRE exam

My quantitative score?

770. 6 questions wrong out of 60.

Verdict:

THE SHAME! :wall

Must study harder! (My GREs are August 21st)

Anyone know of any other sites besides www.gre.com to get GRE practice exams from?

I used 4 or 5 practice exams from old GRE exam books at the university library. Do you have access to a library?

About the computer based test: you know that the first questions are much more important than the rest, right? In case you didn't, here's how it works: the system pigeon-holes you in a category after the first few questions. It then tries to refine its estimate of your 'intelligence' with the latter questions. Therefore, if you get the first few questions wrong there is no way you will end up with a decent score. You absolutely need to get the first questions right, and it's okay to spend more time on them than on the last few questions. When I sat the GRE I took more than 20 minutes working out the first 10 answers. I am pretty sure I messed up a few of the last questions but I still got 800. That's the strategy I would recommend as in the end it doesn't matter how many questions you got wrong, but rather WHICH ones you got wrong.

Uh, is that truly the case? I'd like some confirmation on this, because according to the way I graded myself, all it counts is how many questions you got right out of the quant sections. 57-60 right=800, 56=790, 55=780, 54=770, and so on...

Thanks for the heads up, though!

With the GREs though, the questions are so obnoxiously inane (computer (19-18-17-16)-(20-19-18-17)...WHAT THE HELL?! What kind of nonsense is this?!) that the hardest part about them is to make sure you're reading those things correctly and not just zooming through it because it's so far below the level of competence you're used to cruising at.

Uh, is that truly the case? I'd like some confirmation on this, because according to the way I graded myself, all it counts is how many questions you got right out of the quant sections. 57-60 right=800, 56=790, 55=780, 54=770, and so on...

Thanks for the heads up, though!

That's the difference between the paper based test and the computer based test. The latter uses an adaptive algorithm that keeps giving you harder questions if you're answering correctly. It kind of messes with your head but if you see the difficulty level increasing during the test you know you're doing well. It's all explained here:

http://www.syvum.com/gre/catgre.html

Wow that's so bad. If you happen to goof up on the first two or something, then you're doomed? Wow, sheesh!

But at the prometric testing facility, it always allowed you to go back. So I'm not sure which one I'm taking. If I'm taking the CAT, I'll be far more careful.

Just search on Google, you're bound to find something. You can always make a trip to the library or your local bookstore and pick up a couple books. The best way to prepare is by taking as many practice tests as you can - this way you will be familiar with the type of questions on the test. After that, it's just a walk in the park :)

Anyone know of any other sites besides www.gre.com to get GRE practice exams from?

The internet is filled with such tests.

Though you might not really want to take those kinda tests which are too hard or too easy.

You might want to download it from somewhere. would not really like to use the word "torrent" out here :)

Oh god...690 on the CAT based one >_<.
**** ****. The CAT is far harder though. FAR harder.

Edit: Can you use a calculator on the CAT GREs, since they deal with lots of fractions and combinations?

Can you use a calculator on the CAT GREs, since they deal with lots of fractions and combinations?

no calculators and be sure you practice using no more than 2 pencils/test, it's a pain if you are use to pen.

*****. I'm so used to cranking something out on a calculator or excel or whatever technological tools I have at my disposal these days that I'm hazy on my basics...especially the geometry and fractions.

Way for this thing to kick me back at least 4 years if not more.

Yep, they give you crappy pencils and blue paper that makes it hard to see your pencil marks.

I think the GRE PowerPrep software (you can download it from the GRE website) is probably the closest thing to the CAT exams you will get. It comes with two exams but they pull from a pool of questions so it might be different if you do the exams a couple times.

Having a calculator for the GRE would be nice, but it really isn't necessary - it's more of a convenience. Besides, none of the calculations involve anything beyond simple add/sub/mult/div. The CAT is definitely a bit tougher than the paper version, but the CAT is scored to account for that difference. On the paper test, every question is worth the same, whereas on the CAT, if you've been answering everything correctly and get a 'difficult' question wrong, you won't lose as many points. You will lose more points for missing an 'easy' question version missing a 'hard' question.

IIyakeighsix,

You may find these links helpful.

4Tests.com - Free, Practice GRE - General Exam
http://www.testprepreview.com/gre_practice.htm
Free GRE Practice Test - Peterson's
GRE Test Preparation Practice Exercises for Verbal, Antonyms, Analogies with Explanations, Analytical Writing, Quantitative
GRE Practice Test

The tests generally follow a pattern in terms of the type of questions asked. By taking as many practice tests as you can, you'll know what type of questions are asked and how to approach them. I think I have a bunch of practice tests tucked away on a external hdd somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them up.

How important is the verbal and writing sections of the GRE? I took it a few years ago on short notice and got a 540 verbal, 800 math, 4.0 writing. I'm looking into Columbia. Columbia has not yet published their application, does anyone know if a math subject test is required?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

How important is the verbal and writing sections of the GRE? I took it a few years ago on short notice and got a 540 verbal, 800 math, 4.0 writing. I'm looking into Columbia. Columbia has not yet published their application, does anyone know if a math subject test is required?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

It was not required for 08 admission, can't say about next year.

With the GREs though, the questions are so obnoxiously inane (computer (19-18-17-16)-(20-19-18-17)...WHAT THE HELL?! What kind of nonsense is this?!) that the hardest part about them is to make sure you're reading those things correctly and not just zooming through it because it's so far below the level of competence you're used to cruising at.

They look inane superficially. An ordinary person will calculate everything in the parentheses first -- thus gobbling up precious time. A math-oriented person will see the cancellations immediately, and reduce to -20-16 = -36 within a second. It's a speed test.

I'm so used to cranking something out on a calculator or excel or whatever technological tools I have at my disposal these days that I'm hazy on my basics...especially the geometry and fractions.

Put the calculator in a closet. I never use mine unless essential. You should be able to calculate square roots by hand. You should be able to estimate products and quotients. You should be able to estimate logs and exponents. You should be able to estimate sums of columns of numbers. Aim for both speed and accuracy.

Geometry has been a problem in the USA for some decades. The old Euclidean geometry hasn't been taught for donkey's years, so that even math graduates often don't have much geometry under their belts (or it's the wrong kind of geometry). If you can, look for some of the old texts on plane Euclidean geometry. And incidentally, the subject has its own charms.

Back