• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Some General Questions About Career in Desk Quant

Right now I'm a technology consultant and planning to become a desk quant (not risk quant etc, but the quant directly helps with trading business)in a bank(sell-side). I really appreciate your advice on my following questions:
  1. What types of work does desk quant do in a bank? I heard desk quant will do pricing, data analysis etc, is that right?
  2. I heard desk quant will do some data analysis work. In order to get ready to become a desk quant, are there any online courses in data analysis you recommend? It would be great if the online course has some projects to work on.
  3. If I cannot get a desk quant offer, are there any other similar positions (may be model validation) so that I can gain some relevant experience and become a desk quant in the future?
  4. If I become a desk quant, is it a good opportunity to get exposure to trading business?

Back