• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Stanford ICME (MCF) Admission Results ?

I was wondering if you did submit the GRE for Stanford. If I remember correctly, something along the lines of 'GRE score will not be taken into account' was written. But I am unsure if we still could have uploaded it.

I was wondering if you did submit the GRE for Stanford. If I remember correctly, something along the lines of 'GRE score will not be taken into account' was written. But I am unsure if we still could have uploaded it.
I didn’t, and was pretty pissed about it too hahah. But yeah you weren’t allowed to include it in the application

I didn’t, and was pretty pissed about it too hahah. But yeah you weren’t allowed to include it in the application
Yes, I agree, and also I am very unsure of how they select candidates. When looking on Linkedin it seems that they are not exactly looking for the same student profile as other top MFE.

I think Friday the 17th is the anticipated day. Based on what I've read, decisions typically (though not always) come out on the third Friday of March.
Thanks for telling. could relieve today.

last year was on the 15th... and it was a Tuesday I think...
Good point. Anytime then huh?

I got an email about a comment from this post. I just noticed that there was an email with the subject Stanford ICME Admissions... My heart skipped a few beats.

I imagine there are a few of us who are quite excited and nervous about the results.

Good luck to everyone. How exciting regardless of the outcome...but yes better if it's favorable.

Fingers crossed 🤞 and good luck🍀!

Hey! Anyone knows why this program doesn’t get as much coverage as the others, and isn’t even on rankings? It seems to have a good reputation and lots of applicants.

Last edited:
Hey! Anyone knows why this program doesn’t get as much coverage as the others, and isn’t even on rankings? It seems to have a good reputation and lots of applicants.
Which programs and rankings are you referring to?

I can answer that as far as QuantNet ranking is concerned. Stanford program reached out to me several years ago after we released our ranking to inquire about having them ranked.
They have not responded to the survey for subsequent years rankings and my repeated attempts to reach out to them got no answer.
If they reach out and provide the necessary data, we would be happy to include them in future rankings.
That's a sort recap of why we don't have them in our rankings. I have no idea why they don't appear in other alternate rankings either.

Stanford MS Mathematical and Computational Finance. Quantnet and Risk.com rankings.
I see Andy already answered this (as a source of authority), but since I typed this up.. I'll just add it to the thread. It's basically a lighter version of what Andy said, with my guesses:

Short answer is I don't know.​
I checked the methodology and both quantnet.com and risk.net. From what I could tell, Stanford wasn't included at all (or potentially didn't respond to the survey).​
For example on QuantNet, only 29 of the 33 programs responded. I only see 29 programs in the rankings, so my guess is either Stanford ICME MFE wasn't asked or didn't respond if asked.​

Looks like Andy gave clarity to what happened.

Good luck with the admission and hopefully when you go there, you can lobby for them to participate in the ranking. It's better for a program to be in the best quant ranking in the world than not.
Ha love it!

Back