• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

The Worlds First Ultraportable 15.6" Laptop!!??

Yes I know its a bit of an oxymoron, but until today you had to tradeoff: size - weight.

Meaning: If you wanted a light laptop you had to buy a 13" or smaller... and vice-versa.

I am super-excited! Sony is coming out with a 4.4lbs 15.6" laptop with awesome specs! This is truly phenomenal. I need a new laptop and would for sure buy it but its not coming out for at least a month. In the interim I will but the new Dell XPS 15Z which is comparable to the MacBook Pro15 - only $1,000 cheaper!

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/sony-vaio-s-15-inch-vpcse16fx-b.aspx

You are nuts. You buy/sell laptops more frequently than I go to supermarket.

The resolution is sweet. But I think I will keep my x220t.

I bought the XPS 15 LX-502 for my back-to-school top. I'm hoping it will last me the 2 years I have left and hopefully into grad school :D The outer shell looks pretty plain and boring but the inside is sweet and delicious.

I don't get it... it only weighs 2 pounds less than my F series... is my F series "ultraportable" too?

The official term "Ultraportable" is <4lbs, so technically this is not ultraportable, though it is less than 4.5lbs - still super impressive for a laptop so large.

The next category is "Average". 5-7 lbs. Yours (6.6lbs) just makes the cut.

Anything over 7lbs is a "Desktop Replacement" (yes that's you Alex!).

Hm, from the review it sounds like you could probably cook a grilled cheese underneath while you're using it, too. Nice bonus.

I really don't understand the MacBook comparison, frankly. I've always had PC's at work but always owned Apple products, and you know writing MS-DOS batch files, and then later sorting through six dozen control panels with 98 poorly labeled tabs each, or installing an OS that the machine keeps trying to reject like a bad kidney transplant--all that is really fun and all, but in the end the experiences of working with the two objects are only incidentally similar. At home, I don't want to do tech support; I want to use my goddamn computer.

Obviously mine is not the only use case out there, and I understand why some folks like PC's. I know people who like to work on their own cars, too, but I've never been one; I just wanted something that went when I turned the key in the ignition, was going to keep doing that for a long time, and even if I had to pay a bit extra upfront would make me that money back and more by not needing to be repaired, upgraded, or replaced particularly soon.

lol. What's with Baruch faculty and Apple products?
You would be surprised to know how anti-Mac Alain was once upon a time....

Yike you always say the funniest things :D
It's the most succinct way of expressing the idea.

But here's a more understandable version:
If all you've ever had is a hammer, and a hammer and a screwdriver can complete the same tasks, you will have no idea why anybody would ever want a screwdriver.

And so it is settled:

User: What is the best operating system?
Cleverbot: Human ingenuity is the best operating system.
User: Are macs better than pcs?
Cleverbot: Maybe in body structure but not mentally lol.
User: Is Linux better than Windows?
Cleverbot: Yes.
User: Is MacOS better than Windows?
Cleverbot: Yes.
User: Is MacOS better than Linux?
Cleverbot: Hell no!

It's the most succinct way of expressing the idea.

But here's a more understandable version:
If all you've ever had is a hammer, and a hammer and a screwdriver can complete the same tasks, you will have no idea why anybody would ever want a screwdriver.
... but I can still laugh at the people trying to hammer in nails with a screwdriver, right?

You would be surprised to know how anti-Mac Alain was once upon a time....
I could never justified the cost to buy a Mac and I put up with all the warts of Windows. That was ok until my friends convinced me to buy a Mac (now I own 3 of them). That was it. Unix with a nice user interface and very easy to use to boot. I still do most of my coding in Linux but nothing compare to Mac OSX when it comes to easy of use.

... but I can still laugh at the people trying to hammer in nails with a screwdriver, right?
You mean practically every programmer that's ever lived?

And as I recall, a certain somebody tried to do a stat arb project in... PHP??? Once upon a time, I tried to build a database (though I didn't know it at the time) in C++ overnight, also to do stat arb.

That's the point really, you never know how deficient your hammer is until you're tasked with something that is just way too painful.

Yes I know its a bit of an oxymoron, but until today you had to tradeoff: size - weight.
Meaning: If you wanted a light laptop you had to buy a 13" or smaller... and vice-versa.
I am super-excited! Sony is coming out with a 4.4lbs 15.6" laptop with awesome specs! This is truly phenomenal. I need a new laptop and would for sure buy it but its not coming out for at least a month. In the interim I will but the new Dell XPS 15Z which is comparable to the MacBook Pro15 - only $1,000 cheaper!
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/sony-vaio-s-15-inch-vpcse16fx-b.aspx
Great ! But still I need a laptop for note taking, Sony / Toshiba ? will come out with something worth ?
Lenovo ???

If you need a laptop answer the questions in the laptop thread and I will try to point you in the right direction.

Never mind - I cut-and-pasted it here:

I do not know what your primary needs are so I cannot advise you. I do know more or less every laptop that has been on the market over the past 10 years so if you are a little more descriptive I will hopefully be able to help.

Before I tell you anything a word of caution: I have owned almost 10 HP tablets and 3 ENVYS. I have had bad experiences with all of them. The ENVYs look awesome and make you feel really cool... but they actually run really hot and have awful battery life. As a general rule I never buy from HP anymore.

Reply to this with the following information:

1) What screen size is optimal for you
2) Do you care about weight? (If yes how much)
3) How important is battery life for you?
4) What are the three main purposes you will be using this laptop for?
5)How much do you want to spend and whats the highest you will go?
6)Do you want a convertible tablet laptop? (very useful for note taking but usually more expensive)
7)Any other specific features I missed

ALSO - After you list these please tell me the 3 most important features you would like
{example: 1)MOST IMPORTANT = Weight < 4lbs 2) SECOND MOST IMPORTANT = Screen size <14' 3) Speed >3Ghz}

Hopefully with all of this information I will be able to give you some nice options. I am not particularly fond of any of the options you mentioned.

Enjoy!

Easy of use, no Windows and no need to reboot.
I found just the one for you Alain!

apple-i.jpg

Back