• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

To people working in Risk Management

yes... until he lost money for 3 or 4 years in a row and shut down. His partner opened a fund 4 years later and has been very successful.
so what was your point?
to be fair to him he's had "skin in the game" for most of his life.
he may be sound extremely arrogant but it's hard to take his credibility away from him.

Does he propose a better idea?
I don't remember whether Taleb himself express the idea that sometimes no tools are better than wrong tool but Pablo Triana, a big fan of Taleb and the author of a (controversal and repetitive but still interesting) book "Lecturing birds on flying" says approximately the following: "give a pilot no altimeter and he will look from the window. Give him broken altimeter and he will crash the plane".

From my point of view (and my experience as a risk manager) the main problem is not the absence of the "right" modeling tools.
Risk management usually can recognize the danger and warn about it.
The problem is that risk managers are considered as Spaßverderber (fun spoiler) and rarely heard by top management.

There is also a problem on (from?!) regulators' side:
"Regulators have reduced risk managers to box checkers, making sure they take every measure of risk and report it dutifully on extensive forms. It just consumes more and more staff, turning them into accountants and rotting brains.” - says John Breit, the former top risk manager at Merrill Lynch
(http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/uncovering-the-human-factor-in-risk-management-models/?_r=0)

some risk guy/gal at my place actually quantified his/her group's attribution by some balance sheet impact modeling. i heard they are now sharing a bigger pie of the profit... but not every risk group can do that...

some risk guy/gal at my place actually quantified his/her group's attribution by some balance sheet impact modeling. i heard they are now sharing a bigger pie of the profit... but not every risk group can do that...

This sounds really interesting. Can you explain how one can actually do that?

Back