• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Tutorial: QuantLib Boost Installation in Visual Studio 2012

what was the problem and how you solved it?

I used Boost 1.53.0 first to build the library. I think something was either not compatible or I didn't have enough understanding of it. Somehow I couldn't build the boost myself and I used the pre-built version and followed the given steps. It finally worked out. Thanks for asking.

Hi,

I was able to install the current version 1.55.0 of Boost library on the Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 IDE but wasn't able to install QuantLib 1.3 (1.3 is the current version). The reason is that I don't understand step 7. in the installation list given above.

I downloaded QunatLib 1.3 in the directory
C:\Users\vigen\Downloads\
in my computer, and added the folder
C:\Users\vigen\Downloads\boost_1_55_0
to Configuration Properties/VC++ Directories/Include Directories,
and the folder
C:\Users\vigen\Downloads\boost_1_55_0\lib
to Configuration Properties/VC++ Directories/Libraries Directories.

After all this, when I build QuantLib.sln solution I got 737 errors.
Here are the first few:

1> cpicoupon.cpp
1> cpicouponpricer.cpp
1> dynprogvppintrinsicvalueengine.cpp
1> fdextoujumpvanillaengine.cpp

1>c:\users\vigen\quantlib-1.3\ql\qldefines.hpp(37): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/config.hpp': No such file or directory (ql\cashflows\cpicoupon.cpp)

1>c:\users\vigen\quantlib-1.3\ql\qldefines.hpp(37): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/config.hpp': No such file or directory (ql\experimental\finitedifferences\dynprogvppintrinsicvalueengine.cpp)

1>c:\users\vigen\quantlib-1.3\ql\qldefines.hpp(37): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/config.hpp': No such file or directory (ql\experimental1>------ Build started: Project: QuantLib, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

\finitedifferences\fdextoujumpvanillaengine.cpp)

1>c:\users\vigen\quantlib-1.3\ql\qldefines.hpp(37): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/config.hpp': No such file or directory (ql\cashflows\cpicouponpricer.cpp)
1> fdklugeextouspreadengine.cpp
1> fdmblackscholesfwdop.cpp
1> fdmextendedornsteinuhlenbeckop.cpp
1> fdmextoujumpop.cpp

It is not clear for me what paths to use in step 7.
Those I gave above, or these

C:\Users\vigen\Downloads\boost_1_55_0\boost_1_55_0
C:\Users\vigen\Downloads\boost_1_55_0\boost_1_55_0\lib

Also, it is not clear how many times to use these paths, in the picture it is shown to include twice.

I also tried the following paths (following the picture in step 7.)
C:\Users\vigen\Downloads\Boost\boost_1_55_0
C:\Users\vigen\Downloads\Boost\boost_1_55_0\lib
and again got the same errors.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with this problem.
Henry

Last edited:
Back