• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

typo in cv

Im really mad now. A typo in my cv, "accomodate". Will this greatly influence my application? Also for the name, XXA(BX) XX, should there be a whitespace between A and B?

Im really mad now. A typo in my cv, "accomodate". Will this greatly influence my application? Also for the name, XXA(BX) XX, should there be a whitespace between A and B?

Depends on how accommodating the interviewer is.

Or you better hope he/she thinks that's how it's spelled anyways.

please how terrible is this?
I would not be too concerned myself but I am not an interviewer. I suppose English is not your first language ? The content of the CV is important. How many pages is it?

I know many native English and Dutch native speakers who cannot spell (nor write). At school we used to have spelling competitions :D

//
There are soooo many native English speakers (even highly educate ones :)) who confuse its and it's all the time. End of rant :D

Last edited:
I would not be too concerned myself but I am not an interviewer. I suppose English is not your first language ? The content of the CV is important. How many pages is it?

I know many native English and Dutch native speakers who cannot spell (nor write). At school we used to have spelling competitions :D

//
There are soooo many native English speakers (even highly educate ones :)) who confuse its and it's all the time. End of rant :D

Hello, thank you for your reply. I'm from China actually but currently in Canada. I have a front desk intern, two researches, one of which under a prestigious professor. Not sure how strong my content is in the application pool.

You could ask a friend etc. who is a native speaker to have a look, which I assume you have done.

I once wrote "strong work ethnic" instead of "strong work ethic" on my resume and it's years later that one or two people point it out for me. Obviously, speller could not catch it. Luckily, the ones pointing out were not those that hired me.
Lesson is, put it through as many eyes as you can. Use the school career counselor. Email to friends. Pay someone if you have to.

In short, don't fret. Try to send in the correct one if possible. Use the official name of the company whenever possible (get it from their website).

The expert on CV is here https://www.quantnet.com/threads/ask-ellen-job-hunting-and-career-development-advice.10689/

I once wrote "strong work ethnic" instead of "strong work ethic" on my resume and it's years later that one or two people point it out for me. Obviously, speller could not catch it. Luckily, the ones pointing out were not those that hired me.
Lesson is, put it through as many eyes as you can. Use the school career counselor. Email to friends. Pay someone if you have to.

In short, don't fret. Try to send in the correct one if possible. Use the official name of the company whenever possible (get it from their website).

The expert on CV is here https://www.quantnet.com/threads/ask-ellen-job-hunting-and-career-development-advice.10689/
Hello Andy,

Thank you for your reply. But this is for my school application so I dont think there is a chance... So sad.

Its unlikely that they have reviewed your application so quickly. If its bugging you a lot, then reword 1 or 2 other things so that its different to the original CV you sent, and then email the applications office saying you submitted an old CV. They should replace it with the "new" CV, provided your application hasn't been reviewed yet. Obviously, fix the error in the "new" CV as well =D.

Its unlikely that they have reviewed your application so quickly. If its bugging you a lot, then reword 1 or 2 other things so that its different to the original CV you sent, and then email the applications office saying you submitted an old CV. They should replace it with the "new" CV, provided your application hasn't been reviewed yet. Obviously, fix the error in the "new" CV as well =D.
Hello,

i have emailed them and it seems resubmitting is not allowed. Thank you for your reply.

Back